TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Redsparow1

Default Insurance Question

So my '09 Trailmanor took a significant amount of hail damage on 3 sides from a recent storm. The estimate for the repairs from the trailmanor dealer included $2K for shipping and freight. The insurance company cut me a check for the remainder of the estimate, minus the deductible, but will only reimburse the shipping and freight costs with actual invoices because they think they are too high. We are still camping this season and I will be deploying overseas in the fall, so I am not sure when I will repair the trailer or if I will at this point. I own the trailer outright and it seems to me that it should be my perogative to make the repairs as I see fit and that the shipping and freight for parts is part of the cost of the repair (and that total estimate is what a secondary buyer would use to value my trailer) and I should be reimbursed for that up front. Am I missing something? Do I have a leg to stand on? I come to the board for your collective wisdom. Thanks.
Redsparow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
MisterP

What may seem logical to us as consumers means little to an insurance carrier. You have to read the fine print on your policy. If invoices are required, then you agreed to that condition when you wrote the premium check.

If the damage is mostly cosmetic, invest the money you have already received and discount the trailer later for the damage.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsparow1 View Post
... The insurance company ... will only reimburse the shipping and freight costs with actual invoices because they think they are too high.
Sadly, you need to do two time-consuming things.

1. Ask your insurance company for recommendations for a cheaper shipping company, and then query those companies. You would like to think that your insurance company would have someone cheaper in mind - but it won't turn out to be true. Still, do your homework.

2. Start shopping for vehicle shipping companies, and get a fistful of estimates. Google will come up with a ton of 'em. Either you will find some cheaper estimates (which means your insurance company was right), or you will find that everyone charges this amount (in which case you will have some ammunition when yo uiapproach your insurance company again).

Start with ABF (I hate 'em, by the way), and go from there. Unfortunately, the burden rests wth you.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
moaboy

Insurance companies and their proxy known as insurance commissioners write the rules and we write the checks. You can make some noise and negotiate with them, but in the end they have the authority per your contract to limit their liability and exposure. Supposedly that keeps everybody's rates down, but in reality just makes them more money.
One thing they will want is to wrap it up and move on. The more time and hassle you give them- to a point- they may try to accommodate you somewhat.
At some point you will xxss them off and then they will dig in their heels.
Good luck. Do what you can and move on.
PS the good news is you can make up some horrific story to tell anybody who asks about your dimples....