TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
jkheaney

Default 2720SL/open while hitched?

Will I have any problem opening a 2720SL while still hitched to either a pickup or SUV? Dealer is 600 mile away...so trying to do my homework here.
Thanks,
John
Pharr,TX
Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
ronanderson

I have no problem opening my 2720SL while hooked up to my pickup. It can get tight if your TV is parked at an angle to your TM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
RogerR

Not a good idea with most SUVs. The back window and door will hit the Trailmanor when they are opened. If you want to try it make sure you don't have to access anything in the back of the SUV before putting up the TM. I have done a quick TM open to get something and camped once that way. It saves some time but not much.

I have the 2720sl and the tailgate and window of my Jeep will hit the 2720sl.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Scott O

Probably no problem, but err on the side of caution. Make sure your TV is straight. I would recommend 2 people opening the front shell so it can be done with more control. Then as you open just check clearance. Also, it is really no problem to unhitch and move the TV forward a few inches if needed. Probably no need to disconnect chains or power cord but be careful and be sure to have a spotter and don't forget to block your TM wheels. And be sure to reconnect before you drive off!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
jkheaney

OK>unhitch it is.
Thank you
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
jkheaney

Scottt, noticed you have the solar panel...has it been worth it?
I'm sure it increases your dry camping time,but aren't you are still limited by your sewer/gray water capacity?
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Sienna here. I can't even lift the hatch while hitched, because the power tongue jack interferes. But, I am able to open the TM all the way while hitched without trouble -- I do so whenever I fill the water tanks at a campground.

So my issue with the hatch doesn't change. I suppose I can get a longer draw bar, but I haven't felt strongly enough to do so yet.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

T/Gate issues aside........ as "Scott O" points out, be very careful opening the front roof while attached to the TV. The roof can come up very fast on some TM's and you can get slammed up against the rear of the TV if you aren't used to it.

We often open up to have a meal, while on the road. The 1st few times that I did it, I was quite shocked. There is very little room for you to exert any leverage against the roof as it comes at you. I could see a person getting hurt.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
PopBeavers

I can open my 2720 (not SL and not SD) while hitched to either of my trucks, as long as I am straight. I have about 6 inches of clearance before they would hit.

I can not open my tailgate, because it will hit the upright part of the front jack.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I can open my 2720 (not SL and not SD) while hitched to either of my trucks, as long as I am straight. I have about 6 inches of clearance before they would hit.

I can not open my tailgate, because it will hit the upright part of the front jack.
Wayne,

That jack mod that I did works great. I can open the T/G and even slide my slide-out bed about a foot past the end of the T/G.