TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
SCBillandJane

Default Your Favorite Gas Grill

Do you have a gas grill that you take camping with your Trailmanor? Why do you like it, what did it cost, and where did you get it?
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Bluegrass

We have a Magma stainless steel "kettle" type propane grill that I kept when I sold my boat. It has a 15" diameter grill and a venturi type burner that resists being blown out by the wind. Produces a nice even heat. It's easy to take apart and clean and best of all, I can take the legs off and put it in a storage bag which makes a small package to store. Downside is that it is pricey. West Marine has one on sale now, $50 off which makes it $100 but you'll also need a shore stand for $39.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
viking

I like the Webber Baby Q 100. I added the side tables to it and the night light. I used pricegrabber.com to get the best price. I got the grill from Gander Mountain and the side tables and light from Amazon.com. The grill part is cast iron and gives a good even heat. I have had cheaper grills $30 to $50 but the Webber in my opinion is worth the $140 I paid for it with the accessories.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
rumbleweed

We use one of these although we did not get it from Camping world. Works well and is relatively light. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...gas-grill/5289

A few general thoughts. We have an additional propane tank we use for this and the outside stove. They are high pressure devices and need to be on the HP side of the gas line. I am not a big fan of grills that attach to the side of the TM as they tend to get the TM and the awning dirty.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
teamgentile

Default Pretty happy with our simple Coleman grill

We've had this simple and inexpensive Coleman grill for years.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem..._id=2000000851
Packs down nice and has held up fine. Kind of a pain to light (have to slide the grill grate to the side if using a gas fire starter, matches would be easier) but has alot of space and does a decent job of cooking.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I second the Weber Baby Q 100 with the side tables. The cast iron grate is key. Since it has a much higher heat capacity than a chrome grate, the temperature swings aren't as high as with other grills. It supposedly has a light ceramic coating, so it doesn't rust. I also got a thermometer off eBay and bolted it into a hole I drilled in the cast aluminum top (which also doesn't rust). I expect it to last a very, very long time. It's the only portable grill I've found that does filets and chops well, with full flavor and lots of juiciness.

The only disadvantage is it isn't quite as portable as others I've used, such as the Weber portable one that resembles a box -- it weighs less, packs easier, and can be carried with one hand. The Baby Q outperforms that grill by 100x, but you must carry the Baby Q with 2 hands.

Requires very minimal cleaning. I like it so much I bought one as a gift for a relative. Newegg of all places had the best price at the time -- cheaper than Amazon.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

On the recommendation of a close friend we went and got this:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ct_id=9941-768

It's a bit too big & heavy, to be honest, but once it's set up it is a beautiful grill. Cooks as well as my large permanent grill at home. It would be great for a larger family, and when my kids start to eat grilled food it will likely be better, but for now it's just myself and DW and we've only used one side, ever. It lights instantly, cooks well, no issues, clean up is a breeze. It would be perfect, except it's a little long and a bit heavy (40#), so I tend to put it in the back of the TV when camping.

I'd consider getting a smaller one, but it was ~$150 or so, and I can't justify just parking that in the garage
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
PopBeavers

I tried 2 of the cheap gas grilles and did not like either of them. These are the ones with a single burner pipe down the center. Very uneven heat.

I like the Q120. The Q100 was too small for 5 adults and sometimes a few friends. The gas pipe makes a loop, so he heat is more even. The cast iron grate is designed so it is solid over the flame so you don't have a big flare-up problem. You need to preheat it to sear the meat because the flames is a little smal so it takes awhile to heat up the cast iron grate.

If you live near me I will give you the two that I don't like for free. They aren't worth the cost of shipping.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
lederhos
Site Sponsor

For a larger family or group of people the Weber Q200 is great. If only cooking for 2 or 3 the Q100 or 120. The rolling cart and a teflon coated griddle are nice accessories to the Q200.
lederhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #10
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

We also have the Weber BabyQ with side tables, Griddle, Grill Tools, light & rolling duffel. It cooks GREAT & has been upgraded to accept the camping LP cannisters. Now we on;y cook Fish & Chicken since we don't eat beef.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote