TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
greg and pat

Default Looking hard at a TM

We are currently looking at the 2720 SL. Have had considerable experience with RVs (Class C). Would be towing with a Toyota Tacoma. We are kayakers, both whitewater and kayak touring, so the boats would go on top of the truck. I like the TM concept, but wonder about the usual things such as a dusty road (We live on one), and durability. Probably would do a fair amount of boondocking, or setting up in a campground as a base camp. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
baby jane

Default Towing with a Taco

HI,
We just purchased a used TM and picked it up in Denver last week.
Towed it back to Colorado Springs, (2 hour) drive, with our 2007 Taco.
Did not even notice it was attached. It will be interesting to see how it tows in the Mountains, (which most of our camping will be done there) Other TM owners on this forum say it pulls wonderfully with a Taco, and even in the mountains.
Baby Jane
Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I don't get onto many dirt roads, but we take about 6 to 8 weekend trips each year. Usually 150 to 200 miles each way.

We get some dust inside. Every fall I completely removed all of our stuff and wipe down the interior. This includes removing the drawers and wiping down the space behind them.

It is never very much, but I don't like it to accumulate forever. It is also a chance to rotate the basic food stock that we keep in the TM all season.

I have been participating in these forums since early 2005. The subject of dust has come up a few times. It does not appear to be a significant issue. Even a regular TT will get dusty inside. But I have no doubt that the TM will be dustier.

Unless you will be driving many miles (10+) of dirt road then I would not expect it to be an issue.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
ragmopp

Regarding your Tacoma...Is it a '05 or newer? If it is an earlier incarnation the 190 horse might be anemic...(not that it couldn't be done)

Mike Anderson
Old 05-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
ng2951

I haven't done a lot of travel on dusty roads. However, last year at End of Trail competition near Albuquerque, NM we did get a fair amount of dust...but so did everyone else.

From most forum posts I have read about this subject, it may only be a slight problem compared to other trailers, but I have never seen anything definitively indicating it is a problem.

As far as durability goes, these trailers are pretty good. Search around for "Alaska". I think someone on this forum took their TM to Alaska which can be a pretty rough place to haul a TM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
Al-n-Sue

Default dust issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg and pat View Post
I like the TM concept, but wonder about the usual things such as a dusty road (We live on one), and durability.
Look for posts on dusty roads - there is a lengthy one somewhere (I was part of it) that was started by a guy looking at a used TM that was extremely dusty on the inside. He was concerned that it was a problem even on new ones. He eventually bought a new one after most posters assured him it was not a problem. After talking to him (I met him when he picked up his 2720 here) I found out that the used TM was missing the wheel well covers. Turns out, the wheel well covers provide the seal with the seal on the shell that keeps dust out!

I suspect that if you drove many miles on a really dusty road, you could get some dust inside, but you would on any other TT as well. Check out what the folks who've been to Alaska say - that should give you a good idea of what to expect.

As for durability, look at the signatures of folks on the forum and see how many units there are from the 90s. Compare that to the quality you see on used TT and popups from that same decade.

Good luck.
Alan
Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
ng2951

Try e-mailing some of the people in this thread. Alaska is tough on trailer...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Every year we camp for 2 weeks in Missouri in a farming area. Once your off the main road the farm roads can be pretty bad. We got excited when we were told they had paved one of the ones we take in to reach the farms we visit. We found out paving up there means they put some gravel down. Gravel is good though....because with out it the dirt roads up there turn to the consistency of Jello pudding when it rains.

The gravel keeps some of the heavy dust down but there is still some dust. Of course we just drive in...set up stay two weeks and leave. The dust going in to the farm is really not much....the dust driving the roads in my truck for 2 weeks is a LOT! The truck gets covered with it....on the outside and the inside of the truck bed. (I do have a Leer topper on the truck bed) We park in fields/pastures almost daily and on cold mornings the cows come around the truck to warm up and they put nose prints all over the dusty truck! Usually I can take one or two sheets of those pop up wet wipe things and dust the inside of the TM right after we set up. It usually only takes one and never more then two of those wet wipes. We usually have a little dust on the wall between the sink and the sofa area and usually just on the side of the camper with the kitchen sink.

The truck bed is scrubbed and rinsed out after we get home. We used to clean it before the return home trip but had water freeze in the locks once...so now we wait till we get back.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
lnussbau

Here is a complete journal of the Alaska trip by the Binkley's in 2007. I was fascinated when I first read it, shortly after they got back.

They also have several other journal entries of trips they've taken with their 3023. They're members of the Mile High Trailblazers, and we'll be on a trip with them to Palo Duro Canyon State Park near Amarillo, TX next week.