TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Will TMs increase in value?

I browse the rv.net Class A site from time to time. As you can imagine, there is considerable chagrin at $4+ gas and diesel prices, with a larger Class A now costing upwards of 55 cents a mile for fuel and oil.

Bad as this oil crisis is, I wonder if our light-weight, SUV-towable TMs will actually become more desirable. For those who like camping in a comfortable rig which can be stored in your driveway and gets darn close to the mileage of your TV, it sure seems like a nice alternative.

How do you think this will affect both sale and resale of the TM line? As for use, we have put aside dreams of a Class A and will be sticking with our TM for a long while.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
grlewis1

Default Value of the Trailmanor

Dw and I just returned from camping at Gamble Rogers State Park in Flagler Beach... while we were taking in the sun and surf of the Atlantic, we had numerous visit's from Class A owners, wanting to look at our Trailmanor. They are hard core Rver's who are now looking for alternative ways to enjoy this past time. I handed out brochures each day and felt like I was showing a model home.... As for the price increasing, I think it's safe to say that with commodity prices increasing, " have you check the prices of metal lately" ?? the cost of buying a new TM will go up... so this increase will carry over to the used market as well.... the problem being !! what will it cost us to buy a new TM in the future ???
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1 View Post
Dw and I just returned from camping at Gamble Rogers State Park in Flagler Beach... while we were taking in the sun and surf of the Atlantic, we had numerous visit's from Class A owners, wanting to look at our Trailmanor. They are hard core Rver's who are now looking for alternative ways to enjoy this past time. I handed out brochures each day and felt like I was showing a model home....
I am not at all surprised to hear this. I think used TM's will continue to increase in value. There just isn't another lightweight, low-profile trailer available with the same amenities.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
wmtire

I would tend to agree with everyone, and believe that the value of used Trailmanors will increase as the price of fuel keeps skyrocketing. Grlewis1 makes an interesting point about new ones costing more too, which is inevitable.

A good example would be the Geo Metro vehicle. Everybody remember that little ugly box car.....that got 40+ miles to the gallon. Well, used ones are now in hot demand and are going for well over bluebook.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...rth-Thousands/
Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

Motorcycles, scooters, mopeds,and bicycles are also getting more popular. Be careful and watch out for them. As gas gets higher, I find myself riding my motorcycles more and more.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Mountain Man

Used TM's may hold their value a little better than the average travel trailer, but I wouldn't buy one as a speculative investment thinking it will increase in value. They may do better as the cost of new ones increases due to higher component costs, but I have seen several comments on the forum that TM's have one of the highest markups of any travel trailer. My gut feel is that the economy is about as bad as I have ever seen it. Dealers may give larger than average discounts to sell off inventory or just to make some sales. I suspect a lot of people who might have been in the market to buy a few years ago, won't even consider it now. As far as motor home owners downsizing to TM, that may be the case, but if they have already bought a motor home, chances are they have enough wealth to buy a new TM, and won't be driving higher costs in the used market. It's nice to think we could own something that will increase in value, but most things don't work that way.