TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
David Richardson

Default TM and Wind

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 3023 (used see wanted) and while at a local dealer noticed a 2619 in bad repair. Upon questioning the salesman he told me that it had been left open and a realy large sun devil picked it up and rolled it. He had to completely replace the upper shells. He had bought it off the insurance company. He said that it should not have been left up. Location of the accident was Kingman Arizona. I looked at him and said, "Good thing no one was in the Trailer." He look at me a shook his head in agreement. This raises the question how safe are TM's in high winds.

Thanks in advance,
David
Old 10-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
AstroBruce

How safe is ANY trailer in high winds?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Rich_in_Tampa

Monitoring the weather is an important safe-camping thing to do. If extreme conditions are forecast, at least with a TM you have the option of closing it up and seeking temporary refuse elsewhere (including your tow vehicle). With traditional trailers, you present a much bigger profile to the wind, and you can't do much about it other than hooking it back up to the TV.

Still, tornados and storms can pop up with little warning, and once the trailer starts to rock and roll too badly, I'd abandon ship. Interestingly many have reported here that TMs have felt safe and sustained little damage or water entry even in severe weather.

Every RV has its limits, I guess.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
PopBeavers

30 years ago my brother borrowed my 1974 Pinto Wagon for a trip to Yellowstone.

On the way he was approaching a small "dust devil", just a few feet tall. He timed it to hit it, thinking it would be fun.

He tells me he will never do that again. It nearly blew him off the road.

I would think that a 40 foot DP would hold up better than a popup. Everything else is somewhere in between.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Senorsedona

Cool What if?

Out of all of the posts how many have we heard of that sustained ANY damage? Over the years I have been in many storms with my RV's. I have felt no more in danger in the TM then in a 38ft 5th wheel. I would'nt hold my breath waiting for that otherone to hit. You'll drive yourself crazy.

Get out there, use good sense and have fun..

Jack
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
dpudim

Like with any camper you just have to be alert for the weather. When it gets bad we head for the clubhouse or leave for a while. I know when its windy and I'm on the road all other campers are all over the place but I'm driving nice and straight.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
larsdennert

I've lost some tents to wind.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
David Richardson

Thanks for your answers they where helpful. I was concerned when I heard that story and wanted to ensure if a stiff wind came up from a passing thunderstorm I would not find myself sleeping on the ceiling:~)

I am comfortable with the decision that I am making and look forward to purchasing my first TM.

Thanks again,
David
Old 10-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Richardson View Post
Thanks for your answers they where helpful. I was concerned when I heard that story and wanted to ensure if a stiff wind came up from a passing thunderstorm I would not find myself sleeping on the ceiling:~)

I am comfortable with the decision that I am making and look forward to purchasing my first TM.

Thanks again,
David
Hi David!

We just came back from three days at First Landing State Park on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay at Virginia Beach. We were about 200 yards from the Bay. The first day had light winds that picked up after sunset. That night, the next day and night, we had 30 mph winds gusting to 40 mph off the Bay. We could HEAR it through the trees right next to our TrailManor, no rocking or bucking, like we used to experience with our popup campers. We felt warm, safe, and secure.

Now that may not be a microburst or tornado, but - as others have said - they wouldn't try to ride one of those out in ANY RV.

We love our TrailManor! Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:36 AM   #10

Just returned frm Sand Hollow State Park, Utah. Winds had to be over 40mph and I was scared. The TM didn't move, nor did I. However, it's good to know the info you all have shared.