TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
traveling trailer poodles

Default Another newbie jumps in

Well, I went to a dealer yesterday "just looking" at a 2720SL--wound up leaving the proud new owner of an '08 2619. Layout was well suited to taking 3 young grandchildren along (which I hope happens quite often) and it saved 200 lbs and a few $K compared to the 2720. I should be able to pick my little baby up on Friday, provided I can get a class 3 hitch reciever and brake controller installed on my tow vehicle (2001 Toyota Tacoma). As this is my first RV, I plan to set it up in my driveway next weekend for a dry run. If that goes well, it's off to the "wilderness" on Labor Day weekend.

I've seen many of the very useful lists and discussions on this site, but any suggestions on what you wished you had on your first trip (but didn't) would be appreciated.

Dave, Rebecca and the trailer poodles (Bridget, Billie and Buddy)
Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Congratulations on your new TM!

We also set up in our driveway and took the time to become more familiar with our unit. Our first outing was within 20 miles of home, just in case we overlooked something or ran into unforeseen problems. My goal was to spend 3 days and 2 nights with full hook ups (private CG) followed by 3 more days and 2 nights (at a state CG) without any hook ups. I felt that would be the best way to check out all systems and to get a feel for dry camping.

And yes, we did run into a small inconvenience at the private CG. The water hook up was shared and as such was some distance from where our unit sat. I ended up traveling back home to pick up an additional 50 feet of water hose.

My suggestion would be to carry extra water hose and a 30 amp extension cord (as we've also stayed in CGs where the power source was beyond the OEM power cord).
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
SneakyFrog

My two cents:

Make sure you two are in a good mood when you hitch, unhitch, and maneuver your TM for the first time.

Leave the top 1/2 of the door open when opening or closing the TM to prevent rub marks forming on the rear 1/2 of the unit.

Make sure no outside wiring is getting kinked when opening or closing

Make sure the front and back latches that secure the TM after closing are not in the up position and in the way when closing up the TM.

Check to make sure the heater cover and screws are tight - we had to change ours out and add bolts.

Don't pull on the 12v outlet / television jack or bump up against it too hard, the screws in ours were too close to the hole and it popped off and had to be repaired (easy to do).

Grease the ball joint.

Buy mirrors that extend out of the TV or attach to them for driving safety.

Bring your brake controller instructions (along with every other manual) with you in case an error code pops up.

Print out Mike and Kelly's Trailmanor guide... buy a 2 inch binder with pockets to hold all of the documentation.

Use the front middle burner on the stovetop before attempting to use the propane for anything else in the TM. It gets the air out the propane lines.

This is all the absolutely necessary stuff that we may have learned the hard way. There is other fun stuff to add on, buy and carry with you that you will write down like Leon said. This was our first experience with RVing and camping.... after 4 trips we finally know how everything is supposed to work in and on the TM.

Enjoy!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
azsteve

Great link to Mike and Kelly's Trailmanor Guide. Thank's much.

AZSteve
Old 08-19-2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Freedom

It's a good idea to have several TM brochures on hand for those people that are really interested in your TM. I'm sure your dealer would be happy to give you some with his address stamped on the back! We have had a lot of people interested and several that have looked the trailer over closely.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM   #6
grlewis1

The Trailmanor always makes the perfect ice breaker in any Rv park... When they see your "Transformer" called Trailmanor open from 18 ft to an impressive 27 ft., it always brings amazement from the crowd ... The question that is almost always asked... Can you stand up in that thing ??? I always say.... take a look for yourself !!!! Then when they peak inside and see a living room, kitchen, bathroom and queen size bed, they are blown away... So brings lots of brochures.... they go fast around my campgrounds....
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I just put on an "aw shucks" attitude, and tell 'em that we got a wicked good deal on the price because the factory forgot to add the upper half. Sure, we have to crawl in through that short door to sleep and stay out of the rain, but it was too good a deal to pass up.

Some laugh. Some look confused. Some believe me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Catawbalea

Welcome to TM camping! We have the same set up as you, Tacoma '01 and 2619. So far it works just fine.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #9
jkeck555

You say you this is your first RV so here are a couple of things I found very nice to have thought not required with a TM. A propane camp stove and small portable propane grill so you can cook outside. I also have found it is nice to have a 10lb propane tank(this will take some time to find) with a distribution tree(get the one that has a flexible hose for the tank side connection). Then a propane lantern to sit on top of the distribution tree for lighting. This will give you a nice outdoor setup for cooking.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
PopBeavers

On one trip I discovered that 100 feet of water hose was not long enough to refill my tank. Fortunately I also carry two 6 gallon collapsible water containers.

On one trip I wished I had slightly more than one bag of Lego blocks. I now have two bags.

On one trip I discovered that I had a sudden desperate need for ant spray.

I would really hate to have the toilet fuse trip in the middle of the night and find out that I did not have a spare fuse.