TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #1
mrskscoyote

Default Tow Vehicle Question

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 crew cab pickup, 4.0 V6 with a transmission cooler. We are interested in the TM 2720SL trailer. Is there anyone that has towed a TM with this type of vehicle ? Most all of the post recommend using a WDH, but the dealer in Grain Valley, Mo. states that this is not needed.

Also can anyone explain to me the controversy regarding the tire/axle height on these TM trailers ? I have read several of the post in the forum to the manufacture about axle height & problems.

I have seen one 2720SL trailer, and will be going to an RV show this weekend in Kansas City, Mo., I really like these trailers, but they seem so "overpriced". Yes they are cheapere than a class C motorhome, but still very expensive for a pop-up trailer.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
BrianS

Default Ranger

I tow my 2720 with a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with auto trans and factory tow package.Works great but I would say get a WDH I towed once (about 250 miles) without and the WDH is a much more enjoyable experience and IMO a lot safer too.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I will add two personal observations:

1. Someone has already estimated the fully loaded weight of a TM 2720 at 3,8800 pounds. I agree. I loaded mine with everything I own and it was 3380 pounds on the axle. I did not weigh the tongue.

2. I have a larger crew cab than yours. I do not use a WD hitch and was advised by the factory that I do not need one. When I attach the TM the rear bumper sag is almost 3/4 inch. My 1500HD is more of a light weight 2500. I recommend you carefully consider a WD hitch, base on what others have said.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I tow my 2004 TM 2720 SL with my 2001 Ford F-150 Lightning truck and have found over the past two years traveling cross-country, that, while it will can do it without a WD hitch, there were many occasions when you hit those "bouncing highway" sections when things got a little "white knuckle." For $400 or so, an Equalizer WDH is, to me, money well spent and my tire alignment guru (admired throughout the community as "the best) agrees.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
lnussbau

My 2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4WD automatic tows the 2720SL fine, but I'd suggest the WDH. I towed a few times without one, and there was quite a bit of sag -- added the WDH and I'm not only level, but it's a LOT more comfortable on the road.

I DO wind up getting a bit slow in some of the Colorado mountains, though, especially some place like Rabbit Ears Pass.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
shunter917
Site Sponsor

Our first tow vehicle was a Ford Ranger and it did a great job. Do get a WDH. It really adds well to the towing experience.
shunter917 is offline   Reply With Quote