TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2001, 11:30 AM   #1

Default Any TrailManor Full-Timers?

I just bought a 1999 3124King, and although I am not going to full-time right now, that is my plan. Wanted to know if there were any full-timers out there using a TrailManor as their home, and if so, how is it? Does it hold up to the demands of full-timing? I would love to know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2001, 05:50 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re:TrailManor Full-Timer Opinion

Darmis,
I'll offer my opinion... and remember this is just the opinion of 1 person who owned a TM for 3 years and traveled over 16,000 miles with it.

The 3124King certainly has plenty of amenities that lend itself to living in it for extended periods of time... However, remember, TM is manufacturered as a "vacation" trailer, not a "permanent home."  When you compare "vacation" trailers to the "higher quality" units intended for full-time living, you'll find substantial differences in the way the trailer is built and the quality of products used in them.  Check the RV Rating Book [www.rv.org] definitions of the various "levels" of trailers to verify my comments.

For us, the shower was inadequate to qualify for living in the unit for extended periods of time more than 1 week.  Since all TM's use the same bathroom/shower setup, no matter what size the TM is, I think you'd find it inadequate for full-timing... remember, this is just my personal opinion.
Old 08-17-2001, 02:45 AM   #3

Default Re: Any TrailManor Full-Timers?

Well...I'm picking up my 3124KS tomorrow  ;D. I'll let you know what I think of it after the weekend in Florida.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:17 PM   #4

Greetings Darmis

I have to agree with Paul.  The TrailManor is a great little vacation or weekend trailer.  My wife and I just got back from vacationing 15 days in Colorado and New Mexico.  We stayed in RV parks as well as dry camped for 4 days in a state park.  The trailer worked great for this short period.  The shower and bathroom facilities are small and we prefer to use RV or Park facilities, if available.  The storage is limited and would be inadequate over an extended period.  We love the TM and it more than meets our current needs.  However, we would move up to a conventional RV/Trailer if we decided to go full-time.  

Ed  
Old 08-19-2001, 09:07 AM   #5

8)brand new to this..having purchased a new unit from the factory last month, but at 6' tall and with the wife, we already know that beyond a week stay someplace, we would be chomping at the bit secondary to space.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:58 AM   #6

Well, I finally picked up my 3124KS. It is all I had hoped for and more! You are right about the shower, but I'm sure I can adapt too it. I've actually lived in smaller spaces before, and I don't require a lot, so the space is fine...just need to do something about the shower. Has anyone heard of anyone outfitting the shower with a telescoping skylight? It doesn't seem to unreasonable. any ideas?
Old 08-22-2001, 12:34 AM   #7

As far as the skylight in the shower goes, doesn't the front half cover most of the bathroom area when the TM is closed down?
Five of us just spent 2 1/2 weeks in our 3124KB.  It was used mostly for sleeping and supper, and it was a little crowded, but for 2 people, it's more than enough room.  The slide-out version would be even better.
Old 08-22-2001, 06:12 AM   #8

Well...I was thinking of a "pop-off" skylight that could be removed when collapsing the top, and latched on when in use.
Old 08-24-2001, 02:45 AM   #9

The 3124 would certainly be large enough for my wife and me to full time in. I also am a backpacker so it is hard to find a shower that is too small. If you feel the shower area inadequate the shower head reaches out the window where there is plenty of room  . This would be best while boondocking of course. Our family of four will be spending next summer in the Trailmanor on our trip to Alaska and in many ways I find the TM has more room than my 31 ft class A motorhome had.
Best of luck to you if you decide to full time.
Old 08-26-2001, 02:26 PM   #10

Seems a common complaint of spending much time in the TrailManor is the shower. (I didn't like using mine either).

A month, or so ago, I received the details of a modification for the shower that really looks nice. (I haven't done it yet,,,, but I will). If anyone is interested, let me know, and I will e-mail the gentleman that sent them to me, and ask him if he minded if I gave out his name and e-mail address. I'm sure you will find it well worth your time.

Mack