TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #1
ma23peas

Default Shower?

My husband and I are trying to decide on TT's....we have three children ages 11, 8 & 7 that we homeschool and would love to take "school" trips across the US to historic sites and fun spots while they're young.

We just bought a Toyota Tundra Double Cab v-8...and it's towing capability is 6800...so for weight I think we're okay with room to spare.

I walked through a TM yesterday and was VERY IMPRESSED! The only drawback was the shower set-up....does the shower curtain not stick to you as you move around and try to wash? Have any of you come up with alternative options that might make bathing a bit less cumbersome?

Granted, my kids could probably do just fine with the outdoor shower handler and a good shampoo but I'd like an all over clean after trekking all day. Did this pose any issues with any of you? Thanks a bunch!

Tara
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
rsalejandro

Default Shower?

The curtain does make you feel very cramped, but there are many people that have made modifcations that help. Do a search on shower curtain.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
wwjam

We did Hal's modification for the shower. We hung a soap dispenser, and took some of the bulk out of the shower curtain. It was some work but well worth it, I love having it the way it is now. I do worry a little about the walls getting wet, but that would only happen if it seeped through the fabric itself.

Jo Ann
Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
Doug W.

I modified my shower curtain and I am fairly large and it is not bad. You will want to do the stuff in this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=3223. I modified mine similar to this. I could not find the parts he used, but created my own shower head holder and shampoo despenser. It is on the back wall as suggested. I also added a plastic coated wire shower organizer on the wall by the middle of the TM. It will hold three or four bottles of shampoo or bodywash if somebody does not like what we have. It has a bar soap holder and two wash cloth holders at the bottom.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
ma23peas

Thanks! I'll check out those threads....I tried to use the Search feature earlier and my computer just sat there looking as if I were nuts. Maybe there were too many folks using it then...thanks for the links to the threads! I've looked at over 15 TT's inside and out and more than 35 on the net...when I walked into the TM I thought "Wow! They really KNOW my family!" But when I walked into the shower I kind of did an "uh-oh" they overlooked something...after 23 years building these things you'd think an engineer would think of an improvement...glad to see the users have!
Thanks!!!
Tara
Old 06-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Magdefrau

TM bathroom--toliet and sink and shower. How do you possilble rate them. Well, I know! My 14 year old daughter gave the thumbs up. And that is a Gold medal performance by TM designers. If I was really tall and really big, I,m 5'11' and 205lbs, it would not work. My wife is not small, it work good for her. Rotation through the bathroom showers for the four of us with hot water tank on propane takes One hour thirty minutes. I don't know why but the showere curtain works great, no water on the floor and it does not stick on my skin or get in my way. Understand it's tight, got to organize soap/shampoo and wash rag; and I have to be quick the hot water will run out rather fast. We have not had a smell problem. It's a nice cottage to living in out traveling. Ask me in three weeks as we will have returned from a fourteen day outing.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdefrau
If I was really tall and really big, I,m 5'11' and 205lbs, it would not work.
I'm 5 11 and 5/8 (used to be 5 11 3/4) and weigh 220. I have used the shower a couple of times. I found it to be adequate in size. Not generous, but adequate. I used it with no hookups. Had to use the pump.

If we are at a campground with public showers I use those. They have a bigger water heater than I do. And a lot more elbow room.

I have plans to add a sprayer to the kitchen sink. Sometimes DW will settle for just washing her hair. She knelt on the bathroom floor and leaned over the tub once while I sprayed the water on her head. It was tough getting back up with bad knees. If it is warm enough she can use the outside shower to wash her hair.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

DH is 6'3" and loves our TM shower. He says that he can stand up straight and use the shower (I just asked him). We switched to "commercial" fabric shower curtains, and cut them off a bit. They billow out better than vinyl curtains and don't cling to us. Ours came with sewn-in weights at the bottom that keep the bottoms in the tub. You can do various things to keep them close to the solid walls; just read the posts on this board and use your imagination.

The shower also has the blessings of our 18 yo daughter (long hair, loves 20 min showers at home) and me.

We do often take advantage of the showers at campgrounds when they are available, but sometimes it's much nicer to take a shower in your very own TM, even though it is a bit cramped, compared to your home bathroom. Especially good when there is a huge line for the showers...and you want to check out and leave.

After all, look at what you'll be towing! How big is the TM, closed down, compared to your master bath? And there are 2 to 3 beds, and a kitchen. There have got to be some trade-offs if you want good gas mileage and the ability to tow without a huge TV. I look at these people who haul these huge 5th wheels around, and just shake my head...I'm sure that they enjoy them, but they're not for us.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
Doug W.

Do the new trailer still come with vinyl shower curtains? I bought a used 2005 and it came with the fabric shower curtains. No weights and to long, so I fitted it to the shower and added weights. I did it slightly different than in the link I posted above. Neither the wife or I are great seamstresses. I will post pic of my setup this weekend to give people additional ideas. I did make a mistake when sewing. The opening closes the wrong way, but there is enough overlap that it does not leak. I was not going to remove the velcro and sew it on again.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
genesc

Default Keeping the shower curtain clean

I found out that if you have the shower curtain seam facing outside, it tends to keep the bottom of the shower curtain cleaner. In other words, the soil will not collect in the seam. When washing the shower curtain with detergent and bleach, it cleans very well and looks new again.