TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
brookside

Default Does Anyone Use A Generator?

Does anyone use a generator and if so what do you use? Thanks, Cathy
Old 01-09-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
rockerga

I use a Robins (Subaru engine) RG4300IS. A little heavy (Dry; 163#) but unless you have a system or placement that allows for you not to have to physically raise or lower it from a vehicle I would look at a lesser size generator, but it is the best out there in my detailed research. (They do make a smaller wattage) Other than that you have either the Yamaha's or Honda's. The "cheap" non-invertor generators that you can buy for a fraction of the cost of the above just were not worth it to me. I personally witnessed horrible consequences with my son's experience burning up everything from his on board inverter (2), laptop computer, to other assorted electronics to learn that you can pay now or you can pay later. I do not have the other model numbers handy but just be sure that the one you decide on is an inverter style for RV application. I say the Robins is the best and through thorough research it will be argued on these boards to the contrary I am sure but we are splitting hairs; the Robins, Yamaha's, and Honda's are all in the same league. I may be new to RV's but not pure and clean power generation. I looked at weight, sound level and power in relation to each other and of course dependability. The Robins is the quietest lightest weight "for the power" that you can buy. I just "chose" to have a single generator that could power everything at once should I need it while boondocking BUT I DO NOT have a problem handling this weight, you may.

The other thing to look for would be buying one for now (To handle the battery charging duties and other except for A/C) and a second one later and then at that time buying the connecting cable so you could use both EXACT SAME GENERATORS combined; you could get 2 X 2000 watt generators to combine and be the same as a single 4000 watt. I know Yamaha offers this option, not sure regarding Honda, or is that vice-versa?

Here comes the flying fur......
Old 01-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
BobRederick

Brookside
I bought the Honda EU2000i in November. It runs my A/C in the back yard, Phoenix, winter time. I am not sure it will in the summer or at altitude. I had an 800 watt Honda and it charged batteries just fine (it is now for sale, BTW) and I decided I wanted to run a microwave oven. Indeed, 2 EU2000i units can be connected together to get 4000 watts when/if I need that. These are very quiet and if sitting by the back bumper can barely be heard inside. You can stand by them and talk.

I talked about this a bit in the link below, found by searching on "Honda" in the "last 3 months" of postings.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...onda#post22336
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

You want to do a search for "generator" "honda" & "yamaha" here and in the forums at RV.Net.. you'll get lots of opinions.

Lot's of folks here use solar power or two EU2000 Honda generators.

my $0.02.. if you want a generator that runs you air conditioner at sea level:

2 of a EU2000 Honda
1 of a EU3000 Honda
1 of a EF2400i Yamaha
1 of a EF3000 Yamaha

and then you get into how heavy they are, and if you are in the mountains or if its extremely hot in the desert... etc.

and then you'll get into how you dont need to spend so much money for quiet and how you should get a Kipor or something similar

and then some will say that quiet at a NASCAR event is anything below 90 dba.

Do you want it to power some stuff in your house in case of a power outage?

It's like buying a TV .. what do you want to do where, when, with how many people and what are you bringing, how often..

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
PopBeavers

I have a single Honda EU2000. I have been able to start and run mya/c with it. I may add a second unit in the future.

For just my wife and I, we can go 3 days on just the two group 24 batteries, when not using the furnace. With more people or more days I need about a pint of gas per day for the generator.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Generator usage

I live in Southern California and plan my outings for the best weather at the time. That is, Mountains in the summer and desert in the winter. I have never needed to use the air conditioner. So my Honda 650 (weighs 45 lbs.) works good to recharge the batteries. If I were to buy a new one the I would probably buy the newer Honda EU1000i. It puts out a max of 1000 watts, 59 dBa (very quiet) and only weighs 29 lbs. Now I can't use my A/C, nor a hair dryer, nor a microwave. But I am going camping and don't need them.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:26 AM   #7
rockerga

Brookside; it is like anything else that goes or can be added to your "customized unit." It is all where, and how you will use it that determines what you will need not only in a generator but in most things. Believe me I just went through all that and that is why I am chiming in here. Still a rookie with TM but learning fast and having fun. We will use our TM for "luxury camping" as we still backpack and tent camp so when we pull the TM I want accessories and luxuries no matter where I am so I chose a hoss of a generator for the hot Georgia summers and taking into consiideration the derating value while in the mountains. That way I have the choice to run anything and everything simultaneously as if hooked to shore power without a worry.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
dhickethier

Default Use a EF2400i Yamaha Generator

We bought the Yamaha because it had more power than the Honda 2000 but was still light enough (70 lb) for my wife and I to carry in and out of our TM and is reasonably quiet. We bought it to use in National Parks out west (Yosemite, Sequoia, and Arches) and for an upcoming trip to Alaska. It worked fine in our trip out west although it used a little more gas than I expected. The two handles on the generator also make it easy to build and fasten a rain cover. I made one out of plexiglass and broom handle holders. The generator easily handled our AC and microwave plus lights. Adding a curling iron at the same time put a strain on the system as I recall. The national parks require that you have your generator off from 7 pm-7 am or 8 pm-8 am so some evenings we had to go back to the campground a little early to take hot showers and charge batteries before shutting down.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Carole

Default Generators

We recently purchased 2 Honda EU2000 generators to be used together. We went this route because each unit only weights about 43#s. They were on sale for $899.00 ea. In an emergency we could use this in our home if we lost power.

Carole
2004 2619 TM
2006 Nissan Titan
Old 08-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
PopBeavers

dhickethier:

I am real curious about your experience with the Yamaha 2400 watt generator.

I have the Honda 2000 and have discovered that though I can run the a/c at home, elevation 200 feet, I can not run the a/c at 6,000 feet.

I got the Honda 2000 expecting that it would not run the a/c at all. I have plans to add a second Honda 2000. Many RVer prefer dual Honda 2000's over a single Honda 3000 because of the amount of weight you have to move around at one time.

After I purchased my Honda 2000, I discovered the Yamaha 2400. I wish I had waited a little longer.

If I could determine that the Yamaha 2400 is adequate in the mountains then I might sell the Honda 2000 and get a Yamaha 2400 instead of a second Honda 2000. I think the Yamaha 2400 is light enough to manage as I continue to get older. The Honda 3000 is just too darned big.