TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-17-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Stirrup pulled out

We had a stirrup pull out of the top shell on the door side this weekend. It was dangling inside the spring latch but no longer attached to the shell when we arrived at our destination. Luckily, thanks to this forum, I was traveling with a 20 ft rachet strap for just such an occasion.
I have printed everything I could find on the repair of this problem but I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything new to share on this subject
Cheri
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Stirrup Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bcs1jrt
We had a stirrup pull out of the top shell on the door side this weekend. It was dangling inside the spring latch but no longer attached to the shell when we arrived at our destination. Luckily, thanks to this forum, I was traveling with a 20 ft rachet strap for just such an occasion.
I have printed everything I could find on the repair of this problem but I was wondering if anyone has come up with anything new to share on this subject
Cheri
Here's a link to my post regarding a "Stirrup Mod". check with Ed in Lake City! See post #1. Others expand the discussion.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...3&page=2&pp=10

HTH,

Denny_A (aka DenTed)
Old 10-18-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

I will do both, Thanks
Cheri
Old 10-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Default stirrup repairs

Here's a variation on my question. Of those who have done these repairs, and modifications,are you happy with the fix? Most of the posts I have read are 1 to 3 years old. Are there any that didn't work as well? What would you, do if you had to do it again...or did you?
Cheri
Old 10-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Durability.........

My two retrofits lasted from Oct '02 until Feb. '05.... at which time, if they failed, it would have been due to the violence of the crash. So, up to that time everything was lookin' good!

Denny_A
Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #6
Larry_Loo

My repair method (different from Factory's retrofit) has worked well - although I haven't made many trips since completing the repairs. I must be the only TM owner who installed heavy-walled aluminum tubing in the lower edges of the shell. If any owners of vintage TMs are contemplating replacing rotted wood in the lower edges of their shells with aluminum tubing, I'd recommend that they install the heavy-walled tubing. There's a much greater screw retaining ability when the tubing's wall thickness is 0.125" compared to its screw retaining ability with the TM Factory tubing's thickness of 0.035".
Old 10-20-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
2bcs1jrt

Thanks, you guys for your input. I ordered new stirrups with the reinforcement mod. from TM and I think we will look at installing them with a metal strip of reinforcement slid into the tubing as well so there is something other than aluminum to anchor to.
I appreciate all your help.
Cheri
Old 10-20-2005, 10:25 AM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny_A
My two retrofits lasted from Oct '02 until Feb. '05.... at which time, if they failed, it would have been due to the violence of the crash. So, up to that time everything was lookin' good!

Denny_A

I didn't realize how recently you lost your TM. I hope there is a new one in your future. Glad you are here to tell about it.
Last weekend, we were towing our TM on a 2 lane highway stuck behind a slow moving tractor type vehicle and almost got killed by a semi that didn't realize how slow we were going. He careened off the road and almost flipped over trying to avoid us. We had nowhere to go. It was very scary and we were all very lucky. It could have ended much differently.
Be careful out there
Cheri
Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
Bill & Lisa

Default Glad you are still here

Glad to hear that nothing but nerve endings were damaged in your narrow escape. Thank God you and your family are alright.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

I think someone was definately watching over us that weekend.