TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Talley01

Default Corner Hold Down Latch problem

I am having difficulties with the four draw latches located at the corners of my TM 3023. The two latches on the curb side are perfectly aligned with their respective upper clip (located on the shell) but are adjusted all the way down and don't hold the upper shells down properly. The two latches on the street side are mis-aligned with the upper clip on each latch being about 1/2 inch off to one side (1/2 inch towards the tongue on the front, 1/2 inch towards the bumper on the back). These are usually the first to shake loose on a trip. I've tried adjusting the shell support arms as they attach to the torsion bars but haven't had much luck. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
Talley01

As an update, I'd like to report some success in dealing with this latch problem. After leveling the unit I lifted both shells in place and set the beds loosly in position. On the street side of the unit, I marked the position of each of the four supports on their respective torsion bars using a bit of spare automotive touch up paint. Then starting at the front of the unit, I loosened the four bolts that hold the support to the torsion rod and positioned a bottle jack under the support. I then jacked the support up and was able move it up on the torsion bar about a half inch (a rubber mallot helped to loosen the support/torsion bar clamps). I then tightened the bolts on the strut and proceeded to the next one (moving toward the bumper). After all were adjusted I put the shells down to test the fit. The front shell aligned perfectly with its latch and the rear shell was only a little off. I will re-adjust the rear shell using this method and it should take care of the mis-match. As an added benefit, I was able to close a gap in the top shell gasket as it meets the roof!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Suggest that.......

....the gap in the roof was your real problem. The latch alignment was the symptom. No - wait, maybe it's the other way 'round! Now I'm confused.

There have been a few "gap" threads, and at least one wherein solving the gap problem also (miraculously) solved a latch problem (at least for me).

Other problem: A loose latch can also be the result of wear on the rubber bumper strips. Strips are secured to the frame, fore and aft, such that when the shell is closed the front portion rests on the strip, which acts to absorb jolts during travel. If overtime a strip becomes nearly, or completely, cut through, then the shell would sit between 1/4 and 1/2" lower when stowed, possibly causing the matching-side loose latch difficulty you are having.

Denny_A
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #4
Talley01

I've noticed that the rubber pads on the street side of my unit are really worn but I never thought about this as a possible problem. Have you ever had to replace these pads? If so, where did you get the material?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Red face Rugged Rubber Clamshell Bumpers (not)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talley01
I've noticed that the rubber pads on the street side of my unit are really worn but I never thought about this as a possible problem. Have you ever had to replace these pads? If so, where did you get the material?
..... can be ordered from TrailManor. Never had to replace them on my trailer, but they were getting pretty cut up before my trailer went sneakers-up.

The bumpers may not be the problem, but I'm from the troubleshooting school which replaces stuff until the problem goes away - so when the problem returns I won't know what fixed it. Seriously, replacement is cheap enough so that it's an easy means to clear or confirm the bumper as the source of the problem.

Denny_A