TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #1
mehitabel

Default Carrying Blue Tote-Along tank

I am thinking about carrying my 30 gal 4-Wheeler blue Tote-Along on the back portion of the roof on my 2004 TM 3023 - wheels up, of course so it won't roll around, and empty.
Has any one tried attaching things to the roof?
If so, how have you attached things and with what success?
mehitabel
Old 10-30-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehitabel
I am thinking about carrying my 30 gal 4-Wheeler blue Tote-Along on the back portion of the roof on my 2004 TM 3023 - wheels up, of course so it won't roll around, and empty.
Has any one tried attaching things to the roof?
If so, how have you attached things and with what success?
mehitabel
I attached solar panels to the roof of my 2720SL. The main concern with putting stuff on the roof...especially items like the panels or a tote tank...is the substantial aerodynamic forces on the points of attachment. IMO, these forces are too large to apply to the extremely thin skin of the roof through a few sheet metal screws into the roof...you're just about guaranteed to have those screws pull out...possibly ripping the roof skin...and the object will depart the trailer. I feel the mounts have to be either be attached via adhesive to a broad area (25 square inches or so per mount) of the roof skin or, if screws are to be used, those screws need to go through both of the stacked 1 inch square aluminum tubes that are under the edges of the roofs on the modern TMs.

The concern with using adhesive is that it has to be fairly strong and more importantly not affected by either weathering or temperature. Most epoxies, for instance, begin to deteriorate at about 150 degrees and a TM roof when parked in a hot sun could hit that temperature. I used Loctite 330 Depend...a high strength, high temperature acrylic adhesive to attach 5 inch square aluminum plates to the roof of my TM. Others have successfully used LiquidNails and Gorilla Glue to do similar plate attachments. One huge advantage of attaching mounting plates with a strong adhesive is there are no holes...and potential sources of leaks in the roof.

There are two issues with using screws into the tubes on the roof edge. First, there is wiring inside some of the tubes...you'll have to be very careful not to drill through the wires. Second, under the vinyl cover along the edge piece on the roof, you'll find that TM itself used screws about every 4 inches to attach the roof tube to the top of the wall tube. If you attempt to screw a mount to the top of this, you'll have to be very careful to miss the existing screws. And you'll have to be very careful to seal all holes and screws to prevent water leakage into the roof and/or walls.

Given the challenges of mounting anything on a TM roof, most folks who carry a tote externally have come up with a method of carrying it over the hitch area. It's a lot more accessable and out of the windstream.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRay
Given the challenges of mounting anything on a TM roof, most folks who carry a tote externally have come up with a method of carrying it over the hitch area. It's a lot more accessable and out of the windstream.
Yah, I just bungee mine down on the free area of the A-frame (area just behind the hitch coupler). Seems to ride well, since it is out of the airstream. Of course, mine is just a 10-gallon tote. I didn't realize anyone even made a 30-gallon tote - it might be pretty big for this area. Do you have a roof rack on your tow vehicle?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
MMARFISI

Default Attaching stuff to roof.

I attached a grab bar to the side of my TM next to the door to help an old fart(me) haul myself into the TM. I drilled completly through the wall surface and used nuts and bolts to attach the bar. I placed a metal plate on the inside of the wall as a backer. Then I painted the metal plate white to blend with the trailer wall. Works like a charm is very strong and vertually invisable. I don't see why this method would not work on the roof as well. Jest make sure to use silicone to prevent leaks.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:33 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Nice approach - I bet you are right about using it for the blue tote. Now the next question is whether it might be possible to fit it on the back of the rear shell, beside the window, rather than the roof. My TM is in storage now, so I can't eyeball it, but it would make the tote easier to load/unload, and more important will keep it out of the windstream. The TM is so good aerodynamically that it would be a shame to strap down a barn door up there.

Mehitabel, let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:42 AM   #6
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Think about under the trailer! I measure and was think about putting one between the cross rails useing beam clamps and 1/4-20 eye bolts and straps .But I took Bill advice and bought a ten gal. one and store it in the bath tub works great.Bill gets the credit for coming up with this great idea The Rip
Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Harry Womack

I mounted my 15 gallon blue tank under the trailer on my 3124 KB behind the spare tire. I used a piece of 3/4" stainless tube and bent it in a u shape with 11" across. I mounted a aluminum box on top of the frame and carpeted it inside to keep the "black" from the aluminum from rubbing off on the tank. I also put trim around the edge of the box to cover the edge. The mount works similar to the spare tire rack. With this mount you can slide the tank up the bar and lift it without getting under the trailer. If you want to remove the rack, the two quick pins can be removed. I put a hole for a padlock in the frame to lock it to the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer pictures 008.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer pictures 012.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	784  
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
BobRederick

Sweeeeet job, Harry

What ground clearance do you have with this mod?
Also, do you have the 2.5" lift kit installed?
How far is this in front of the TM tire? The closer the better for ground clearance.
Do you find road dirt and gravel piling up on the platform? I was wondering if it wouldn't be improved by having openings for that kind of stuff to fall on thru.

I do dry camping with a similar TM and this matters. Thanks for posting these. You do great work.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
Bill & Lisa

Harry--awesome work!
Do you take orders? We were trying to figure out how to take our 32 gal tote along with us...
Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
Harry Womack

The ground clearance is about 9 to 10". If is was a problem I was going to cut a round hole up into the floor and let the 3" sewer connection go into the floor about 2" deep for more ground clearance.
The mount is centered on the step mounting bracket in front of the torsion bars and the axle.
I do not have a lift kit on the trailer.
I camp off road on gravel roads and have no problem with dirt or gravel getting into pan. The pan fits the tank without much clearance. If dirt and gravel was going to be a problem, I was going to mount a deflector to the floor that the pan would go up behind.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote