TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2004, 03:08 PM   #1
OpenRoads

Default Shore power

Somewhere I read or was told not to run my air conditioner on 15 amp shore power, use instead a 30 amp circuit. Can't find the source now. Can anyone point to a source or elaborate, please? Understand power surge during compressor start, but is there a real risk of harming the ac or trailer system by using a 15 amp circuit, if no other high wattage appliances are used simultaneously? If so, what harm and how does it occur?
Old 09-19-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads
Somewhere I read or was told not to run my air conditioner on 15 amp shore power, use instead a 30 amp circuit. Can't find the source now. Can anyone point to a source or elaborate, please? Understand power surge during compressor start, but is there a real risk of harming the ac or trailer system by using a 15 amp circuit, if no other high wattage appliances are used simultaneously? If so, what harm and how does it occur?
As discussed in this thread, the DuoTherm Brisk Air requires 13.5 amps continuously. If that's the AC in your TM, that current is very close to the maximum continuous allowed load for a 15 amp household circuit. If all wiring and connections are perfect...and there are absolutely no other loads on that circuit (not even a single lamp), then problems are unlikely. However, it's seldomly the case that all connections are perfect (particularly between the wires and the outlet...or between the wires and and the breaker)...there's usually some problem like corrosion or looseness. That problem will manifest itself over time as heat...left long enough the heat buildup can easily be high enough to start a fire in the wall.

Bottom line is it's likely to be OK to run the AC from a 15 amp household plug for a few minutes (less than 5 or so) but running it for longer periods requires very carefull checking for heat buildup around the outlet and breaker box...and any other outlets that are on the same circuit (because sometimes outlets are connected in series and not all the way back to the breaker).

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 PM   #3
azroadrunner

There should be no problem in the TM running on a 15 amp circuit. However, your home wiring (or whatever you are plugged into) can be a whole different matter as pointed out by Ray. I have purchased a 30 amp outlet for use at my home, but have not installed it yet because my TM works just fine connected to a 15 amp outdoor gfci circuit on the side of my new house.

Jim