TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
OrangeKid

Default Generac 3.5KW Generator on 2619 TM

Quote:
Custom RV, of Anaheim, CA installed a 3.5kw propane Generac Generator on front folding hitch. They moved the two propane bottles out to the side and put the generator between them. There is a remote starter in a panel near the refrigerator. It is integrated with my solar and the TrailManor's power system. Very nice. My neighbor also has a generator on his 2720 also by Custom RV.

The only down side is that it makes for a very heavy tongue weight of around 726 lbs.
See attached picture in the Trailmanor Pictures section (if I can get the picture to show, I usually have problems with that feature. I was unable to get a picture attached here).
Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Generac 3.5KW Generator on 2619 TM

That's a nice installation. This is one of the few times I wish I didn't have the slideout, which wouldn't permit anything like this. BTW, do you have 30 lb propane tanks? If so, nice add.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:36 PM   #3
OrangeKid

Yes I do have the larger propane tanks. It was the dealer's suggestion. When opening the TM the roor section clears the generator box and propane tanks by around 1/2".

The dealer had done several such installations prior to mine. I didn't want him experimenting on mine for the first time.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:51 PM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

That's a right pretty installation. I count 3 removable pins in the first picture. Did the dealer have to modify the swing hitch also?
I have been thinking about mounting a rack in this position on the tongue so I could carry a generator while traveling and set it on the ground when the TM is set up. Like Bill, I have a slide out modei. My propane bottles are mounted low and between the frame members to make room for the swing hitch and the slideout.
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:08 PM   #5
OrangeKid

Yes there are three pins. Custom RV added the third pin. Other than that I am not sure if there are other modifications to the swing hitch. Custom RV claims they invented the swing hitch and made it available to TM. One more small issue. The swing hitch does not open al the way becasue the front jack hits the propane bottle, so instead of saving two feet one saves around 18" in length. You can see what I mean in my first picture.

The latches for the chains of the WDH are welded on the frame just behind the hinges of the swing hitch. I assume that Custom RV did that also. I never have to worry about the latches getting loose.

All in all its a very nice setup done very professionally and neatly. Custom RV has received praise from others on this board. I highly recommend them.

I am going to ask Custom RV if they can weld a U-Haul hitch onto the frame on the rear of the TM for a bicycle rack. I have the U-Haul hitch lying around as I had to replace it because it torqued as I applied the WDH chains. It had a 600 lb limit with a WDH. I replaced it with a DrawTite with 750 lb rating. Little did I know I was going to get a TM when I had the U-Haul installed two years ago for $270. I replaced it myself with the DrawTite purchased on the Internet for $147 delivered!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:05 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Orangekid -

In my garage, I need all the length reduction (every inch) that the swing away hitch can give me. If you needed this, too, and if your swing away is like the original, you can pull ALL the pins, and the entire front of the A-frame comes off. Nice theft-deterrent, too, by the way!

If you would care to share with us the approximate cost of the Custom RV rework to the TM A-frame, I would be interested.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
OrangeKid

Bill:

That is why I got the 2619 because I needed every inch. The way I set it in the garage I have around 8" behind the trailer and a little over a foot in front of it, near the door. If needed I can remove the front part of the hitch.

Actually my tightest measurement is the rear corner of the A/C as I back the TM into the garage. As the driveway slopes upwards towards the garage the back edge of the A/C clears the door frame by around an inch! That includes the 2" lift option. Custom RV bought a 2619 to my house to make sure it fit before I ordered it.

Cost of the Generataor installed was $2890. That included a 15% discount on the trailer and all options. Price without discount is $3400.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:54 AM   #8
2619PDX

This is cool. Unfortunately, I'm up North in Portland and NOT near a dealer who could do that. Also, if I did that, I'd have to relocate my battery...

So where is your battery bank located?

Gregg
Old 11-21-2003, 01:54 PM   #9
OrangeKid

Gregg:

I have two 6 volt batteries. They are located low just behind the generator. I added a picture in the pictures section showing the batteries. You can see one of the battery straps (black with yellow borders) holding down the battery campartment cover. They are not accessible when the roof is down. With the roof up they are reasonably accessible.

When we were at Custom RV in June someone from Oregon was there getting their generator repaired.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:44 PM   #10
2619PDX

Is a 3.5KW geni large enough to start the A/C during the summer should you be dry camping?

I didn't think so. Yes, it will recharge your battery bank. But will it run the A/C at start up?

Gregg