TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2003, 04:01 AM   #1
ColoradoCop

Default Skirting The Camper

Has anyone attempted to skirt their TM? We do a little cold weather camping (sometimes down to 25 degrees) and the wife complains that the bed is cold. I have been thinking about designing a skirt that would hang from the frame to the ground. I think I should be able to attach it with the fasteners similar to those used on toneau covers.

A heavier grade of vinyl should work and a few sewn in weights or grommets to stake it to the ground should help keep it fairly down, even with wind.

Any thoughts on this? ???
Old 05-22-2003, 04:19 AM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Re: Skirting The Camper

Sounds like a cool idea. Or rather a warm idea. You might put extra blankets around the edges of the bed to prevent air leakage there, especially the corners. I noticed that they didn't do much to seal those corners. Obviously leaks are good to give you fresh breathing air in the trailer but not right where you sleep.

Are you using Thermarest mattresses under your regular mattress to add insulation? Check the R value when you shop for them. You could hang a Buddy Heater near the foot of the bed. You will need some ventilation to keep enough oxygen in the trailer if you use that type of heater, but it least it has the oxygen sensor cut-off if it gets too low. And of course low temp sleeping bags.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 AM   #3
Chris_Bauer

Excellent idea. I think you could also do the same thing around the base of the bed. I have seen this on fifth wheels, although I don't know if they use the heavy vinyl around the front for the cold or for storage. This would also reduce the amount of fuel spent on heating.

Chris
Old 05-22-2003, 05:39 AM   #4
ColoradoCop

Forgot to mention that we do a lot of rustic camping. Believe it or not, Boy Scout camporee's. So 110AC not an option. What Boy Scouts and not in a tent? : Nope, ground got to low and cold. Actually, Sheriff's Dept out there for camp security and both wife and I are on the Camping staff.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
2619PDX

I've got the solution. We too had this problem. I went and bought some plastic insulation material that goes underneath the beds, directly under the mattress, and allows are flow out, but keeps warmer air in. Found this stuff in an ad in the back of Trailer Life magazine.

It was designed for marine use.

It also has another benefit in that it makes the mattress a bit firmer.

You can find this stuff at www.hyperventmarine.com.

I got 20 feet to do both full sized beds in our model 2619. It cost me about $170 bucks with shipping. But it's light as a feather.

You might check into it.

Otherwise, try one of the skirts for a 5th wheel. I checked into it once because I thought it would provide some additional storage space. TrailManor does have a skirt they can send out. But it looks like those shown in Camping World catalog for a 5th wheel.

Hope I helped!

Gregg in Portland
Old 05-22-2003, 12:43 PM   #6
hal

A word of caution about skirts. Be sure that furnace exhaust doesn't build up inside the skirted area. Being that the exhaust is at first hot, it might be confined to the area just below the extended bed. after the exhaust fumes cool, they may be displaced by warmer air (or exhaust) and thus settle to a point lower than the body of the trailer.

Hal
Old 05-26-2003, 03:33 AM   #7
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Regarding the HyperVent material: It is advertised to reduce the condensation under beds in boats. So if you have a condensation problem in your area it might work to prevent mildew as long as there is a path around the bed for circulation.

But as far as insulation from the cold, it would be better to find a material like foam designed for insulation that traps the air and will give better heat retention.

Bob W.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 01:31 PM   #8
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

ColoradoCop,

Back in 1993 and 1994, Trailmanor had an option that they made to fit the back bed. As someone mentioned, it looked like the skirting that they make for popups and the fithwheel units. I sold the back bed skirt with the 1993 trailer, and then I bought a new one to fit the 1994 3326 King. When I sold the 1994 in late 2001 to buy the 2002 3326 King, I kept the back bed skirt. I needed the snaps to attach to the back bed so I called Trailmanor and they sent them to me. The back bed skirt is nice to put your cooler in to get it out of the sun. Also, it cleans up the area if you store other items back there.

It snaps on the bed in matter of minutes. Taking it down is no hassle either. It has a zipper in the middle so you can get into the area very easily.

I don't know if they are selling them anymore. I guess if anyone were interested, they would have to call the factory.

If I can answer any other questions, just ask.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:33 AM   #9
arknoah

This is good to know, as we would like a neater appearance for stuff we store at the rear of the trailer while at our seasonal site, such as broom, old fashioned reel mower, etc. I'll check out the Camping World skirts, too.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:29 AM   #10
2619PDX

Interesting. Where do the snaps mount, Bob? I called TM on this last year, and they told me these are still available. I may invest in one for my 2619. It would help to keep the aux refridge cooler.

Sounds like another call to Jimmy Davis is in order.

Gregg