TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Battery Cut-Off on SL models

I want to install a battery cut-off switch on our '04 2720SL. I am a little bewildered as to where to put it.

Has anyone else done this mod on a TM with the batteries in the rear compartment?
Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Been thinking about this myself, would like to place where I could reach it without opening up the TM. Maybe one of those marine switches, off A batt, B batt or both. Place it under the TM near the Batts. to keep the wire run short?!?!?!?!?!?

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
rumbleweed

Dealer mounted mine prior to delivery and it is mounted in top of battery box. Easy job, but not accessible when TM closed.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Dealer mounted mine prior to delivery and it is mounted in top of battery box. Easy job, but not accessible when TM closed.
I guess that I should have mentioned..... I want it to be accessible with the trailer closed.

I have an ATC inline fuse in the battery box that I can pull out. I want to be able to disconnect the batteries with the trailer closed.

I guess that I could just put it under the trailer (like scrubjaysnest suggested) in a waterproof electrical connector box and put it on the negative side of the battery..not really a lot of other options.......
Old 11-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wayne -

I've been going through the same thought process. On my 2006 (and I think on your 2004), the power cord snakes out through a hatch in the left side of the bumper. The little plastic cover on the hatch broke a couple times, so I threw it away. I now store the cord in the roadside bumper compartment, and deploy it (and re-coil it) directly from there. MUCH better.

That means that the 2 1/2 inch hole in the side of the rear bumper is now open. It should be possible to mount a switch in or over this hole. I haven't worked out the details yet - I'm waiting for you to do that. But it has gotta be a better location than under the TM, where it would be subject to kicked-up rocks, not to mention salty water, sand, and other unmentionables.

Let me know when the blueprints are ready.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Wayne -

I've been going through the same thought process. On my 2006 (and I think on your 2004), the power cord snakes out through a hatch in the left side of the bumper. The little plastic cover on the hatch broke a couple times, so I threw it away. I now store the cord in the roadside bumper compartment, and deploy it (and re-coil it) directly from there. MUCH better.

That means that the 2 1/2 inch hole in the side of the rear bumper is now open. It should be possible to mount a switch in or over this hole. I haven't worked out the details yet - I'm waiting for you to do that. But it has gotta be a better location than under the TM, where it would be subject to kicked-up rocks, not to mention salty water, sand, and other unmentionables.

Bill
I think that mounting it on an extremity like that may be asking to get it broken. I park my trailer about 1/2" away from a wall on the curb side.

I would need to mount the switch on the street side of the camper so that I can get at it. That would require that I run an insulated ground cable to the opposite side from the batteries.

Protecting a switch from debris would just require a shield on the forward side. That part would be easy.

I'm thinking of drilling a hole through the plate that the rear torque rod goes through........
Old 11-19-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I was contemplating putting the switch inside the bumper storage compartment, maybe in the center or the left section, perhaps mounted by drilling through the floor and pushing the device through from the top, although I haven't bothered to measure if this would work. If not, I'd just mount it to the top of the compartment and drill through for the wire. This would allow for total protection of the switch, and one could still reach it with the TM closed by opening the bumper cover and reaching in.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Wayne -

Bill
Bill,

Do you have a pic of the way that you have your cord stored?

Do you have to take the cover off to get the cord out? My cover is a pain to get off. I have to unlatch the rear roof to get the cover off.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I don't have a picture, though I could snake my tired old bones around the back of the garage and get one if it is needed.

Yes, the bumper cover has to come off. This is easy - simply release the corner latches on the rear shell, lift it 1/8 inch with your fingers, grab the center edge of the bumper cover, lift it over the turn latches, and pull hard. No need to get involved with the big main latches at the center of the trailer. For me, anyway, it comes right off. When you put it back, it will probably slide UNDER the little sheet metal shelf in the middle, and that is fine. It makes it come off easier next time.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Wayne -

Bill
Bill,

I just went down and had a look.........You're right......the access hole in the bumper would be perfect (for you.....the other side for me).

I thought that the bumper was wider than that. There is plenty of protection from accidental hits.

The 3rd pic will show you why the other side isn't a good spot for me.

All I have to do now is get a 7' length of 6" PVC to store my sewer hose............funny how one thing leads to another on these projects......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03709.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	5317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03708.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	5318   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03707.JPG
Views:	98