TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
BamaFlum

Default Toilet?

Without going into too much detail, what is the recirculating toilet? How difficult is it? Smells? Solid vs. non-solid contents? If we go the Trailmanor route, we would have two adults and three kids. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
Without going into too much detail, what is the recirculating toilet? How difficult is it? Smells? Solid vs. non-solid contents? If we go the Trailmanor route, we would have two adults and three kids. Thanks!
The recirculating toilet is basically a porta-pottie with a pump that recirculates the liquid waste for the purpose of flushing. It also has a dump valve for dumping the waste. All of the waste is stored in the toilet itself (approx 7-gallons).

It uses chemicals for odor and bacteria control.

Some people are sensitive to the "Odor". I'm not sure if they don't like the odor of the chemicals or the waste. If it's that waste that is the problem, more chemicals are needed. We have absolutely no issue with waste odor.

Some people have removed the recirculating toilet and replaced it with an actual porta-pottie, some have replaced it with a fresh water flush toilet and added a black water waste tank.

There has been so much dislike of the recirculating toilet that I am very surprised that TrailManor hasn't changed to a different system in their campers.

Personally.....I would love to switch to a cassette toilet. I don't really have any issues with the recirculating toilet other than the limited capacity. If the TM had a cassette toilet, one could pull out the cassette and dump it anytime that they wanted to. With the recirc toilet, you must either have a a wheeled tote (messy) or fold up the camper and tow it to the dump station after about 3-4 days.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #3
BamaFlum

Thanks. How do you dump it?

For anyone that has done it, how hard/tedious/reliable is putting in a standard toilet with a black tank?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Nothing seems to generate more discussion than the Thetford recirculating toilet. There are a many opinions regarding this fixture, but Wayne pretty much spelled it out with regard to the way it works.

In my view it's pretty much a compromise. The toilet has some pros, and of course some cons. It's good in that takes up only a small amount of space, is very much like a home toilet, and works pretty well most of the time.

Unlike your home fixture, you do need to add chemicals - Thetford makes at least two such chemicals for this toilet , one contains Formaldehyde and the other is formaldehyde free. There are also other chemical brands but I've never tried them. I find the chemical smell sometimes noticeable but not horrible. Ambient temperature has a lot to do with odor - the warmer it is, the more you're likely to smell both the chemical and toilet contents, especially if you have not dumped for a few days.

How long you can go without emptying the toilet of course depends on how much it's used. The toilet itself only holds about 6 gallons, plus you might gain another gallon or so if you include the drain pipe. We try to use the campground bathrooms whenever possible, and only use the TM's facilities when absolutely necessary.

Draining the toilet is easy if you're at a campground with a sewer connection - just connect the flexible hose, open the valve at the base of the toilet, then pull the outside valve handle. If you have a city water connection you can rinse the toilet with the nearby bathtub shower hose. Drain the gray water tank after you drain the toilet - it helps rinse the drain hose.

It depends where you camp, but its been my experience that most campgrounds don't offer sewer connections, but instead have a centralized dump station. Most of the state parks in Georgia are like this. You'll either use a portable tank, or drive the TM to the dump station. You don't have to set up the TM again to drain the toilet (as long as you remember to pull the toilet's 'T' handle before you close up).

I have a small (10 gal) tank I can use to drain then and carry to the dump station. If you get a tank that's much larger, the weight becomes and issue with regard to lifting the tank. Some larger tanks are equipped with wheels so they can be pulled with your TV to the dump station. If you do a lot of dry camping (boondocking) you don't have many choices - you empty the tank when you can find a dump station.

Finally the Thetford is more complicated than you toilet at home. It has a 12V motor, a separator screen, a slide valve and various gaskets. If it fails you'll need to either fix it yourself or take it to an RV repair facility. I've taken mine apart to replace a gasket, and it's a time consuming job because space is so tight.

Anyway, this is probably more than you want to know about the recirculating toilet, but these are the same kinds of questions I had a few years ago.

Personally, I would not let the recirculating toilet be a "go" or "no go" decision with regard to obtaining a TM. Hope this helps
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

We had reservations about the Thetford when we first got the TrailManor, but it's been great, with no real issues. You do need to dump it before you fold the trailer for any length of time.

The downside of cassette toilets is that you have to schlep a 5gal cassette into a bathroom somewhere and dump it into a toilet without spilling it or getting any of it on you. They usually don't have a good hose in a public bathroom to help you clean up, and especially when you do this at home, the dump and the spill provide double jeopardy. You could probably figure out how to get one into the space of the Thetford. While the DW and I do not keep score on such things, I'll also point out that for us there was an asymmetric burden associated with this particularly unpleasant schlepping chore when we had one of these.

The upside of a flush toilet is it's more like home. The downside is it still isn't home, and there's the extra weight and space required for both the input water as well as the output from flush toilets. These can be considerable loads (adding extra water weight is not helpful from load and capacity perspectives).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Brutus

With the recirculating toilet, you prime it with roughly 3 gallons of water and some chemical. Then it "recirculates" that along with the incoming waste. The plus side for dry camping is it doesn't use any more of your fresh water supply (until you need to dump and reprime again). With 5 people, you'll want to camp where there's a sewer hookup at the campsite, or use the campground's facilities. The alternative will be dumping waste into a tote every other day and hauling it to the dump station. Most of us on here have learned to do a compromise to extend the time between dumps. My family uses the TM toilet at night and generally heads for the CG facilities during the day.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
yosta1

All, new to the forum, but thought I'd add my 2 cents -
Echoing Brutus, I've had best luck using CG/Ground-based utilities for day use, and the Thetford for night needs. I'm currently in the market for a TM, btw, so why I've joined the forum. When I had a 26' SeaRay cabin cruiser, the Thetford was excellent, only a minor chem smell which didn't bother me or other boaters. After day trips or overnighters, most marinas (and campgrounds) have a pumpout station to empty the tank, so we never max'ed out the capacity. I'd assume the same 'diligence' of using ground-based faciilities for major 'dooty' (pardon the pun) is best for TM's Thetfords
Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
dmm219

"Personally.....I would love to switch to a cassette toilet. "

The new 2417 toilet option uses a cassette...seems they will probably be going this route in the future...(a good thing)
Old 06-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
Dave99gst

Why does everyone refer to the recirculating toilet as " the Thetford " as if that's all they make. Thetford is just the manufacture of the toilet and the recirculating one is just one of there many models.
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #10
camp2canoe

For the same reason that my mother used to refer to me as "the David", particularly if there was something nearby that was mysteriously broken, or I had forgotten to take out the trash after school or was seriously late getting home. It's more politically correct than cursing. - camp2canoe