TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
modhatter

Default packing bearings

I am supposed to pick up a 2006 yr. TM2619 next week. I am not mechanically inclined. As there are no TrailManor dealerships here in south Florida where I am, where would I take the unit to have bearings packed. Would a regular RV repair place do it?

Is this complicated and costly? What should i expect to have to pay. I want to make sure unit is safe before taking it out.

Do you think I need to get it to a TM dealership to get this work done?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I'm in Coral Springs and have used

http://www.rayside.com for all wheel related maintenance. They've always been very professional until this last time. My trailer was returned without dust caps and I subsequently suffered a catastrophic bearing failure.

When I went back for the dust caps they put them on the trailer no questions asked... however, the person who took care of me tried to tell that they might have fallen off on my way home from the shop ... right.

Regarding the bearing failure, I was in to see them yesterday with a picture of their handy work. All they could do was stare at the picture, and say that I would be contacted by their manager. What is important is what they didn't say... They seem to take my initial visit seriously and at least for now are not trying avoid responsibility.

Up until now I really liked these guys. Hopefully they will step up.

My second choice is:

Truck and Trailer USA in West Palm Beach, http://www.ttusa.net/

You might consider

K & K Mobile Home Supplies, 5882 Stirling Rd., Hollywood, FL 33021
954-962-8558

They've replaced a pump for me. Small place "mom & pop" but they appear to know what their doing.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
camp2canoe

Any RV shop or trailer dealer can do your bearings. As a matter of fact, anyplace that does car repairs can do the bearings if they will deal with the hassle of having to store and move a trailer. Some will not. I use a shop that sells utility trailers and drop off both my TV and TM - that way they can also check the hitch, running lights and TM brakes. They appreciate the convenience of not having to hook up their shop truck to move the TM! - camp2canoe
Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
modhatter

What cost range should i expect for having bearings packed.
i obviously do not know what this entails. And thank you both for your answer.

Also, out of curiosity what do new 14' tires for these things usually run/
Old 10-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
RogerR

If you have them clean and inspect/adjust brakes while they are there 1 to 2 hours at the local rate

marathons and similair run about 100 Lots of info on the draw backs of 14 inchers

think about upgrading to 15 inch tires and lifting your frame at the same time especially if you are going to go long distance traveling.

You can add your model, year, etc to your signature.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Rayside charges $88 to grease/pack bearings.

Goodyear Marathon's $100+each, Maxxis, two of them in 2008 $227.94 out the door, filled with nitrogen, balanced ... and never had a blowout ... performed to perfection till my recent bearing mishap. I think getting your tires balanced is a MUST.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
What cost range should i expect for having bearings packed.
i obviously do not know what this entails. And thank you both for your answer.

Also, out of curiosity what do new 14' tires for these things usually run/
On July 7, 2010 I paid $123.5 for a bearing grease packing job, that also included cleaning the brakes and adjustment. That was in Tucson AZ, may be higher or lower in Florida.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
brulaz

Cochise,

Does your Elkmont have the E-Z-Lube Axles? Ours does. There's a grease nipple under the rubber cap, and my understanding is that you just pump it up with lithium based grease until it starts coming out clean.

The downside of these axles is that every time you remove the hub, according to the manual, you should replace the inner grease seal. That's so that the next time you pump grease in it, the grease doesn't get all over your brakes. Alternatively, you could just never use the E-Z-Lube nipple and regrease by hand.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Cochise,

Does your Elkmont have the E-Z-Lube Axles? Ours does. There's a grease nipple under the rubber cap, and my understanding is that you just pump it up with lithium based grease until it starts coming out clean.

The downside of these axles is that every time you remove the hub, according to the manual, you should replace the inner grease seal. That's so that the next time you pump grease in it, the grease doesn't get all over your brakes. Alternatively, you could just never use the E-Z-Lube nipple and regrease by hand.
Mine does have the EZ-lube, and yes they did replace the grease seal, included in the price.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote