TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-01-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Replace Carpet w/Tile ( or Linoleum)

I'm fed up w/the carpet in my 2720SL, and am planning to replace it with tiles or linoluum b4 our next  trip. We just spent several days at THE campground on Jekyll Island, GA. The only downer was the fine black dirt which was impossible to keep out of the trailer. Dogs are fun but....

Has anyone actually done the deed on a slideout? Remove carpet and replace with tile/limoleum? I've read the following  thread regarding the subject, but it's mostly about possibilities, not actual events:

http://tretta.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/...num=1027461995

Seems as if I will have to remove the steel "slider" strips, at each wall/floor juncture to remove the carpet under it. Might be just as easy to use a box-cutter to cut the carpet  away from the "sliders", and just leave the slider-width carpet in-situ, under the sliders.

Anyway. If someone has done the deed, I'd appreciate feedback.

Denny_A

P.S. : We ran into a blizzard from Bloomington, IL to Champaign, IL, before giving up. Crosswinds were 40 to 50 mph, viz. as low as 50 ft. at times.  No swaybar on my setup - yet not a single hint of instability. We passed several semis in the ditches, as well as one fifth wheel plus T.V., and numerous SUV's. Funny - the SUV's were the only  vehicles passing us cautious, nervous drivers. Overconfidence, methinks!
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2003, 04:02 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Default Re: Replace Carpet w/Tile ( or Linoleum)

Hi DenTed,
I can't help you with your specific request.  I CAN tell you that when we upgraded to a 28' TT we decided to get all "vinyl flooring" rather than carpet.  We found, as you have, that carpeting is not the best choice when you camp in most campgrounds.

My wife loves it because she can use her Clorox sweeper and have the floors clean in no time at all.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your decision as we are.
Old 03-03-2003, 02:21 PM   #3
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Hi DenTed,
I can't help you with your specific request.  I CAN tell you that when we upgraded to a 28' TT we decided to get all "vinyl flooring" rather than carpet.  We found, as you have, that carpeting is not the best choice when you camp in most campgrounds.

My wife loves it because she can use her Clorox sweeper and have the floors clean in no time at all.

I'm sure you will be very happy with your decision as we are.
Thanks for your input Paul.

I'd already decided to do it. I was hoping a guinea pig had blazed the trail already and could point out the "lessons learned stuff". I'm committed to doing the deed as soon as the d-a-m-n temps get near freezing again. It's just so durn cold in Northern WI.

Jimmy Davis, standby for a phone call!!

Denny_A
Old 03-04-2003, 02:58 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Looks like you will be the trail blazer, Denny.  Please post your experiences and lessons learned for the rest of us.  I hope to undertake this project sometime this summer.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 11:50 AM   #5
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Looks like you will be the trail blazer, Denny.  Please post your experiences and lessons learned for the rest of us.  I hope to undertake this project sometime this summer.

Bill
Wilco  8) , or is that Billco, Sergeant?

Denny_A
Old 03-05-2003, 04:21 AM   #6
arknoah

Amen to the idea of moving out the carpet.  It obivously gets dirty with two young kids, but I can't imagine any normal person not making that carpet look pretty bad just over a couple of weekends.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:13 AM   #7
DancinCampers

Good day all,

I've begun the project of replacing our carpet.  I have removed the old carpet & pad & as soon as the sun shines this week I'll lay down the new pad & carpet.

The carpet does not extend under the slider rails, at least on our unit.  It does however, extend under the cabinet by the door.  I just cut around the cabinet to remove the carpet. I could remove the cabinet, but that would entail disconnecting the electrical box & propane detector, & I figured why!!!  I raised our slideout about 18 inches using blocks & car jacks.  This will allow me to staple the carpet on the slideout itself underneath.

I am also replacing the metal edge strips for the carpet where it meets the vinyl.

I am hoping that my electric staple gun will penetrate the aluminum, but haven't tried yet.  If not then I will probrably rent an air stapler.

I would think that replacing the carpet with vinyl flooring or tiles would not be all that difficult, but you would need to also remove the kitchen flooring, which I believe is glued down & also the bath if you wanted all the same.  The difficult part, I think, would be installing the tiles on the slideout itself.  Some kind of edging would be needed on the front edges, but maybe not.  I haven't seen how the factory manages this.

Will let you know how it goes.

Dan
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
girlbugspoppa

Did this mission ever get accomplished? We are thinking about replacing the carpet in our '95 2720SL with vinyl.
'05 Ford F-150 Supercab
5.4 Ltr.
Prodigy Brake Controller
:cool: :cool:
girlbugspoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Randy and Sandra -

This is a really old thread. I think there are some newer ones where similar projects are described, with good results. Browse around, or use the search tool on terms like "carpet", and you should find them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Joe

We did this on our 2720SL about a couple of years ago. We have since traded it for a 3124KS, but used it for over a year. The original was carpet in the hallway, vinyl in the kitchen area and carpet in the living area. The carpet was getting old and there were a couple of 'bump' in the vinyl.
I pulled up everything, carpet, vinyl, and molding. I found that the bumps were caused by deterioration of the aluminum 'skin'. Water had gotten between the vinyl and the aluminum and electrolysis had begun. That was a major setback but I got it fixed and got some heavy brown packaging paper and made a template of the floor. Got a 'end of roll' piece of vinyl from a carpet store, and laid it out on the lawn in the sun so it could 'uncurl'. Put the template on top and cut it out. Fortunately, I remembered to lay it out so that the vinyl would fit, not "upside down". I had removed all the molding, the refrigerator door, cabinet doors and anything else that overhung the floor area around the perimeter of the floor. I laid the new vinyl down to see if it would fit. Then I rolled it up and applied the mastic to the floor. I put the vinyl down again and got it in place. We didn't reuse the old molding. Went to Lowes and bought some 'real' wood and stained it to match the cabinets. We were pleased with the results, so much so that we ordered our 3124 with all vinyl flooring. Use 'scatter' rugs at the door and in the hallway.
If I had it to do over, I would have not removed the vinyl after fitting it. I would have just rolled it back, applied the mastic and pushed it back into place. It was difficult sliding the vinyl after the mastic had started to dry.