TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
guitartom

Default bathroom sink

I thought I had a leak in the kitchen sink. It seems I don't . I called a local plumber and he told me it's in the cold water feed at the faucet of the bathroom sink. He didn't have a clue and told me I needed to go to an RV shop. He was a nice guy and didn't charge for the visit but I'm still out in left field. I tried a couple of locals and they're booked until after I trip I've had planned since February. Does anyone know how to get access to this area to do a repair?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

For a faucet connection under the bathroom sink, I imagine you have to go under the bathroom sink to get at it. Access is tight, but it won't be any easier for a plumber than for you. Remove everything you can, starting with the door, and maybe the doors to the adjacent cabinet. Get a flashlight and a hand mirror. The first thing to do, I think, is to figure out where the leak really is. It might be a simple turn of a wrench (or it might have to be small pliers in that tiny space) to tighten it up. You might end up needing a basin wrench, or a crowfoot wrench, aka flarenut wrench. Although they are not expensive, most folks don't have those, and perhaps that's where a plumber would be better.

I have not done it, but it shouldn't be hard to remove the faucet set from the sink. Or perhaps the entire "countertop", sink and all, can be released from the body of the cabinet. Either one would give you a couple inches to work in. I imagine that both release from underneath. Unfortunately my TM is in storage now, or I would be a little more helpful.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
rumbleweed

As Bill said, use a light to determine where the leak is. I had a drain leak under the bathroom sink that turned out to be an improperly tightened trap nut. 1/2 turn later by hand and no leak.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
guitartom

leak seems to be coming from cold water faucet feed. There's no way to get a hand or a tool there. Any suggestions for removing sink base from vanity without destroying it?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
rumbleweed

can you get to it via the cabinet doors next to sink?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Another possibility is through the wheel well . . . time consuming, but not too difficult.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
guitartom

the distance from the top of the vanity door to the cold water feed does not allow for a hand to get it. The vanity buts against the wall. The other side is the kitchen sink. That's how I got the view into the bathroom sink.No way to access from there. I'll have to go look and see what kind of access I could get through the wheel well. Right now I'm just thinking about using a hammer to remove the sink base from the vanity.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, wait a minute before using a hammer. First of all, you have referred to the cold water "feed". I'm not sure what this is, but from the context, I think you mean the connection (the nut, probably plastic) where the plastic cold water pipe meets the cold water inlet on the faucet set. Am I right? And have you actually seen the leak, with a mirror or whatever?

Second, when you say "the sink base", are you referring to the countertop, probably black, with the big oval hole in it? The sink drops into this hole? And you can't find a way to detach the "countertop" from the base cabinet?

I'm thinking that the TM factory had to install all this stuff in some way. They might very well have preassembled part of it. I don't know how or if they preassembled it, but I think I would. Perhaps mount the sink in the countertop, attached pieces of pipe to the faucets, and attached the countertop to the base feeding. To install this preassembeld unit, they would feed the ends of the pipes through the wall and into the kitchen. But then, when they dropped the preassembled base+sink unit into place, they had to screw it down somehow. Either it is screwed to the floor, or to the side wall of the camper, or the wall between the bathroom and the kitchen ... Perhaps you can figure out how they did it, and undo it in the opposite sequence. They don't have any more wrists in their arms than you do, or tinier hands than you. They might have a special tool, I suppose, but that seems awfully elaborate for a simple assembly job.

Attachment points coming through from under the kitchen sink, before the kitchen sink was dropped into place, might be the answer, I suppose, as others have suggested ... And admittdly that would be tougher to deal with.

Other than that, I am out of ideas. Sorry not to be more useful. But belay the hammer if you can.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Just a thought...I had a small leak in the bathroom sink cabinet area on our first trip. I purchased a water pressure regulater and it has never leaked since then.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Tom,

I was able to take several photos of our bathroom sink setup. Hopefully you have a similar design and the photos will be of some help in accessing your sink tap feeds.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...Yhux_I0GBS3u37

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote