TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-18-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Default grill

wondering if you could reccomend a lightweight LP gas grill for purchase. there is 4 of us camping so need it to have enough room for 4 average meal. I would like a grill that attaches to the TM side. any suggestions of how to install a permanent propane connection?
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #2
rumbleweed

My thoughts

I do not prefer grills that attach to TM for following reasons:
1. Attachment hardware is more challenging as TM folds.
2. Prefer to cook away from TM less mess and grease on TM and awning.

If you do get one that attaches to TM propane system , Remember that propane in TM is low pressure and many of the aftermarket grills sold for camping require high pressure as the regulator is part of grill. You will need a low pressure grill.

There are lots of table top grills that work well and can be used with small cylinders if you wish for tailgating or picnics.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
My thoughts

I do not prefer grills that attach to TM for following reasons:
1. Attachment hardware is more challenging as TM folds.
2. Prefer to cook away from TM less mess and grease on TM and awning.

If you do get one that attaches to TM propane system , Remember that propane in TM is low pressure and many of the aftermarket grills sold for camping require high pressure as the regulator is part of grill. You will need a low pressure grill.

There are lots of table top grills that work well and can be used with small cylinders if you wish for tailgating or picnics.
thanks for the responce... it wasn't what I wanted to hear but glad I found out now. I was going to install it on the back of the TM so it wont be under the awning. as for attachment point... I think its just a thin metal track. However, if its a problem I would get a tabletop unit but was still hoping to use the propane already on board. Low pressure issue has me stumped. Do you know if I'll be able to get a 20,000 btu grill with a low pressure connection? is there a preferable grill brand that you reccomend??? thanks again.
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
camp2canoe

We carry one of the Weber "Q" grills. It functions like a top of the line home grill - some of the small, cheap grills have hot spots and aren't very sturdy. One thing in particular to avoid is grills with thin wire cooking grates as stuff tends to fall through them. Unfortunately, the "Q" grills are also priced like top of the line home grills!

We tow with a Ford Supercab with a shell on the back so storage isn't as much of a problem for us. We carry, I believe, a 7# refillable propane tank which fits in a drywall mud bucket lasts us for several camping seasons. (It also stores handily without the bucket behind the rear seat of a canoe.) We also carry a folding 2x4 plastic table we bought at a Sams Club that we use as a grilling table and which we can move around the campsite depending on where the wind is coming from. The table standing on edge along the side of the pickup bed only takes up 4 or so inches of linear space. When it rains we use the grill and table under the awning - since its usually closed and the hinged lid protects the TM when the grill is open, we haven't found grease spatter to be a problem. - camp2canoe
Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #5
ThePair
TrailManor Master

We have a coleman portable grill, the one with the table. All fits into a bag for transport. I have a tap that goes to the propane tanks on the front of the TM, and allows extension hoses to hook up to the grill (with the proper adapter, naturally). Works great. The grill would be large enough for a family of 4, and it has interchangeable grates for multiple purposes, including using it as burners for pots if you wanted to cook outside. Plenty of BTU, starter button, etc.

Let me pull some links:
Roadtrip LX: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=27110&brand=

Currently on sale at Campingworld: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ill-blue/35188

Tank tap: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Marsha...-p/66-8822.htm

This allows for any 12' M/F extension hose to be attached: http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Marsha.../marsh-efa.htm

The other end just screws into the back of the grill. The connector is the same as on the toss-away propane bottles, and the pressure is high-pressure (because you're tapping into the line before the regulator off the propane tank) so the grill thinks you've got a bottle attached.

This set-up allows us to use the 20# tanks we already have on the TM, and the tanks are still both connected to the TM, so we're only using propane out of one tank for either indoor or outdoor use. This allows us to use up one tank at a time, and then just refill that tank when it's empty. I keep the tee and the hose in the compartment on the front of my slide-out, and just quickly attach them to the tank in use just prior to sliding the LR open (it's difficult to get to the tanks once the LR is slid out on the SL models). Aith the ACME nuts, there are no tools involved, so it only takes a few extra seconds to attach during set up.

We set up the grill near the tanks/tongue on the door side of the TM, usually just outside the awning. DW likes to cook there, as it's convenient to get inside for food, etc.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Scott O

We use the Weber mentioned previously and have a small refillable propane tank which goes on the ground near the BBQ. I like the refillable tank as it avoids throwing away the small cans. We had a Starcraft popup with the sort of BBQ which attached to the side of the trailer and connected to the trailer gas lines. We found this much less satisfactory than a detached portable system such as we use now.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I am now on my third grille. I did not like the first two at all.

The first two provided very uneven heat, because the defelector was nearly worthless.

The third one has a hefty deflector that spreads the heat more evenly. The side effect is that it takes longer to preheat.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
b&pcamping

I have to agree with keeping the grill away from the TM. We have the smallest Weber Q grill as well and love it. They're expensive new, but I found ours on Craigslist for $50 so check there first. There are only 2 of us, but we've used it for more while camping with family and friends and think the size is perfect. We use a 3lb tank also which is conveniently light weight and long lasting. Good luck in your search and keep all posted.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
joshbw

Webber Q for me too. Tried the small coleman ones and threw it away. I was going to put it a quick disconnect to feed from the TM but I just carry a full size extra tank to run the lantern,stove , and grill off a riser pipe at the picinic table. I have heard people removing the regulator and running off the trailers low pressure with quick disconnects. Search for it over at a different different "RV" site and they have pics posted as well.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
namklg

Has anyone used the grill that TM threw in for some of the campers? We got one from the dealer and it is mounted on the arms that raise the front shell. We are a bit skeptical as when you mount the grill, it hits the support arm.