TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 03:22 AM   #11
2619PDX

Default Re: How do you remove speaker covers?

"It's nice not to have to carry around a portable radio when you can easily mount one in the TM slot made for it. One less thing to remember to bring, not to mention the batteries you need for a portable. Besides, I'm installing a 5000 watt, 5 channel DVD "TM Theater" in ours and the player fits perfectly into the slot!   . This won't leave much power for the Ham radio station or observatory so it's a bit of a compromise for us..."

Wade, didn't know there was room in there for the pop down flat panel TV for your home theatre system!  

We'll ALL be able to recognize Wade... He'll be the one with the Illuminated Ham radio tower and the Computerized telescope on the roof of his TM! ;D

thanks for the input guys! Can't truly imagine using the power for a radio on the single TM battery. I suppose if you're hooked to shore power, then it makes sense.

Best! Post some pictures if possible, so we can see your installation!

Thanks!

Gregg

Old 12-03-2002, 03:19 AM   #12
2619PDX

Wade & Bill: And of course everyone else...
Been thinking about adding a radio since reading this discussion and others...

Another possibility... Is it possible to add speaker jacks, attached of course to the TM's speakers, and an Antenna jack which would be attached to the TM Antenna?

That way, I'm thinking, that I could still use a portable AC/DC or batt operated, s/w and NOAA, am/fm stereo radio through the TM's wiring, and remove it when I want to use it elsewhere... ;D

The TV's have to be portable anyway, right? And it's hooked up similarly, right???

What do you think of that idea? Sounds like a trip to Radio Shack to me...

Thanks, guys!

Gregg
Old 12-03-2002, 06:20 AM   #13
KB7OUR

Gregg,

Adding speaker and antenna jacks to plug a portable radio or stereo into would seem fairly easy to do. You are talking about mostly time/labor to do this job. I found an in-dash am/fm/cd/mp3 radio for pretty cheap and installed it in the TM radio slot so I'm not sure why you would want to go to all the trouble to add the jacks. We really don't use the radio or even the TV much when camping, as we prefer the sounds of nature. However, they are nice to have on the occasion you want a little civilization. For us, this is not too often. If I were installing a "patch panel" of sorts for the speakers and antenna, I would probably do it next to the radio cut-out so that it's centrally located. I'm using the space to the left of the radio for a Link 10 battery monitor. I've got it installed in a 2" round hole, but am waiting for the weatherproof CAT-5 cable to arrive for hookup to the battery. Sounds like you know what you want to do so go for it and good luck  . Tinkering with the TM is fun! All the radio cables are behind the removable panel above the fridge (for my unit anyway) so it should be easy to tap these.

Wade
Old 12-03-2002, 06:28 AM   #14
KB7OUR

Update on removal of speaker covers...

They are supposed to pry off from the front so you can get to the wood screws to remove the speakers. The covers are on so tight they would not pry off. Tried a flat screwdriver, putty knife, etc. to no avail. TM sent me 2 replacement panels because I told them one speaker wasn't working right and I would likely have to "rip" out the speakers and strip the screw holes. They sent me new panels (no cut-outs though :'() and I pulled the speakers out. The wire connectors are simpy crimped on so I'm going to solder on some new ones and upgrade the speakers a tad (1.21 gigawatts ;D), then use the new panels behind the existing ones (they didn't splinter) for extra reinforcement when installing the new speakers. Now to find time for this project :. Oh, yea...original speaker covers still won't come off without damaging them.

Wade
Old 12-03-2002, 07:30 AM   #15
2619PDX

Wade: Thanks. I hear you about the sounds of nature. that's why I want to use a portable radio. I guess you could do it either way. I am thinking of using the space provided above the fridge. Don't know if they have automotive style weather radio's or not...

Sounds like you have quite the project going too!

Best,

Gregg
Old 12-03-2002, 12:55 PM   #16
KB7OUR

Gregg,

I'm pretty sure I read a post some time ago that mentioned a RS in-dash stereo with weather band. Our hand held GRMS radios have this so we just use one of them to get the latest report when needed. I do have a few TM projects going and enjoy tinkering with it when I can during my days off. Call me the "caulk king". Going through the unit caulking everywhere to help 1) hold her together and 2) minimize grime infiltration. Takes about 6 tubes of heavy duty liquid nails  ;D ;D.

Wade
Old 12-04-2002, 04:19 AM   #17
2619PDX

Wade:
Thanks for the tip on the indash radio with weather band.

I hear you on the caulk. Have had to caulk mine too.

I'm still chewing on this radio thing... See I want a good short wave that will also pick up you HAM guys too... Am looking at Grundig and Sangean portables... Thus the reason for the external antenna and speaker hook up...

That way we too could also use a handheld for weather updates.

GRegg
Old 12-09-2002, 06:36 AM   #18
2619PDX

Well, over the weekend I successfully installed an auxilliary speaker and antenna wall socket at the radio opening over the fridge...

Now, we can connect our portable sw, am/fm, weather radio to our TM's speakers and antenna! Works great!

Had to splice in terminals for the speakers wires, and change out the connector on the antenna, but it works!

All told this was a 45 minute job.