TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Travis -

My experience with my old 2002 TM and 2002 Ford Explorer. The refrigerator is much closer to the TM battery than it is to the tow vehicle battery. That means that the current from the two batteries is unequal because of the unequal voltage drop in the wire runs. The refrig drew most of its current from the TM battery, with the result that when we arrived at a campground, the TM battery was dead. Annoying! I did a partial fix by installing an entire new run of #10, including a separate connector, from the Explorer's alternator directly to the TM battery (the Explorer's OEM wiring had quite a bit of #12, and several connectors, in the line). It helped quite a bit, but not enough. I ended up with Larry's approach. Just get the refrig real cold in the campground, make ice, then close it and turn it off until the next campground. With power off, the refrig is still a really good cooler, and after 6 or 8 hours on the road, we still had cold food.

One of our members did a much more elaborate fix by converting the nominal 12 VDC in the engine compartment to 24VDC, running a separate 24 volt wire back to the TM, and then converting it back down to battery charge voltage in the TM. That eliminated the voltage drop of course. He reported that it worked like a charm.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lp burner, norcold, refrigerator, refrigerator loose wiring