TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

And another day of testing. HF uint is past breaking so changed the oil in both it and the Honda to 10W-30 Mobil 1 full synthetic.

Had one clamp on meter fail so using other. (Problem with having to use non-certifed instruments). Starting momentary current at 93F is down to 22-23 Amps This is with the 3 second delay on the fan and the SPP6 starting capacitor.

No load beyond AC.

Run amps 11.3 (LO Fan)-11.9 (HI fan).

Honda starting reliably on both switch and thermostat with ECON off. Predator at about 50%.

When it starts there is less than a second voltage drop, When it doesn't, voltage stays down in the 55-60vac range until the overload trips (takes several seconds).

Answer is probably an autotransformer to smooth the glitch but a 30A is several hundred dollars.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

Solution Found!

After putting in the SPP6 hard start capacitor into our 13,500 BTU AC, we still had no luck getting it to fire up with our Harbor Freight 2200/2500 Predator generator. However, we did find the fix!

We purchased the EasyStart ASY-364-X36 soft start module from Micro Air ASY-364-X36 (A/C units >10kBTU). We followed the installation instructions available on their website and, after removing the hard start capacitor and the AC's original start capacitor, we wired the unit into our AC panel.

We chose this unit over a couple of other similar devices because the manufacturer guaranteed it would start a 16,000+ BTU AC with a Honda 2000 in econ mode. Since econ mode can't be turned off with the Predator, this sounded like it would provide us with our best chance of success.

Over the course of 11 initial compressor start ups on shore power, the unit creates the most efficient start profile for your particular AC. When we finally hooked up to the generator, it gently started right up on low cool. It ran great on high cool, too. We ran it for 30 minutes and the generator ran smoothly with no issues.

We live near sea level at around 300 feet and we will have to check the function at higher altitudes later on. But this unit reduces the start up surge by about 70%, so we think it will do the trick for us in most of the places we intend to camp.

The unit costs $318 direct from the manufacturer and comes with a 2 year warranty. We consider the cost of the generator and the soft start module to be very reasonable considering our specific needs. The Predator is the right size, price, and weight. Now, along with the soft start, we have the right solution for us.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thank you. I've been in contact with HF about the Predator but they do not seem interested. With the $25 delay kit my Honda eu2000i has been reliably starting the AC in 100F weather but the Predator has not.

The hardest thing seems to be cycling on the thermo switch rather than the plain on-off. Have you tried that ?

BTW I found a very nice writeup at sailnet.com and the charts are below:

This is a later/larger AC than my Coleman but the data is very similar (LRA 58 vs 62). Note they used the Supco SPP6E and when I talked to Supco they recommended the SPP-6 (no E).

Without the delay I was seeing 33-35A and with, 21-23 so it sounds like the Predator needs that extra 3-5A reduction and the Honda does not. However the advantage of reduced current is unquestioned and the MicroAir appears about $100 less expensive (relative) than the Dometec unit.

My delay reduced the compressor current by about 10 amps
Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

Since installing the soft start module last Sunday, we've done more testing to make sure that our HF portable inverter generator (2200/2500) would reliably run our AC when required.

We have been experiencing a heat wave in the Northwest and during multiple tests, in temperatures up to 98 degrees, it has never failed to start even when being triggered off and on by the thermal switch.

At this time, this seems to be the solution we were looking for. We primarily use our TM at sporting events and some locations offer no actual camping spaces or hook ups. Being able to rest and cool off for a few hours in the afternoon after an event can make the difference between fun and misery, so we could not be more pleased.

Padgett - We wish you well in your quest for the ultimate in techno-efficiency for your TM and we hope you are able to enjoy the "cool" fruits of your labor during a camping trip soon!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #15
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

Followup...

Last week we took our TM to a 4 day sporting event which only offered dry camping. In 100 degree temperatures, our one small generator ran our air like a champ. And we were able to charge our battery and run the water pump for showers at the same time.

A lot of people came over to check out our TM. They seemed impressed with our 'transformer' trailer and they could not believe that we were running our air off that one little generator. One person just kept insisting it was not possible even though he was seeing it with his own eyes.

Being able to camp in comfort in conditions like this is wonderful! It makes us even happier with our decision to buy a Trailmanor. It is just perfect for us and our needs.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #16
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTrail View Post
Followup...

Last week we took our TM to a 4 day sporting event which only offered dry camping. In 100 degree temperatures, our one small generator ran our air like a champ. And we were able to charge our battery and run the water pump for showers at the same time.

A lot of people came over to check out our TM. They seemed impressed with our 'transformer' trailer and they could not believe that we were running our air off that one little generator. One person just kept insisting it was not possible even though he was seeing it with his own eyes.

Being able to camp in comfort in conditions like this is wonderful! It makes us even happier with our decision to buy a Trailmanor. It is just perfect for us and our needs.
Nice.
Where (in OR-coast, Cascades-elevation, my Mom still lives in OR and she was telling me about the wildfires) were you camping? Gasoline or propane mod?
(Indeed, purchasing and toting two honda 2000s is a lil' painful but decently efficient with Coleman Mach 13.5, while dry camping @ 7500' a couple of weeks ago).
stormpeakco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #17
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Am very close to finishing the shootout (can see final draft at www.6007.us/so/so.htm ) but figuring a 22.5% drop in power at 7.500 feet, the Predator would still have over 1700W available, should be plenty to run the AC with the Easy Start.

Nice thing about the Predator is the 750W excess power (2200W -1450W for the AC) at sea level, that is enough to run the AC and my coffee maker at the same time.

OTOH running the AC on the tiny and very quiet Westpro is mind boggling.

Incidently with all of the mods figure I've spent about $1750 including the solar, batteries, generator, controller, load center, and soft start device & can now dry camp in hot weather comfortably for any length of time.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:04 PM   #18
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormpeakco View Post
Nice.
Where (in OR-coast, Cascades-elevation, my Mom still lives in OR and she was telling me about the wildfires) were you camping? Gasoline or propane mod?
(Indeed, purchasing and toting two honda 2000s is a lil' painful but decently efficient with Coleman Mach 13.5, while dry camping @ 7500' a couple of weeks ago).
We camped in the mid Willamette Valley near the Albany/Corvallis area and it was a very hot weekend. We own the Harbor Freight 2500 peak/2200 running watts inverter gasoline generator.

Before starting the trip, we filled the generator and took an additional 2 gallons with us. Over 3 days, we ran it for about 12 hours. We came home with some gas left in the generator and I estimate we used 2.5 - 3 gallons total.

As for the fire danger, it really has been high up here this summer. The camping area was in a mowed field and the event allowed us to use portable generators as long as each was placed on a non-flammable pad when in use.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #19
OregonTrail
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
Am very close to finishing the shootout (can see final draft at www.6007.us/so/so.htm ) but figuring a 22.5% drop in power at 7.500 feet, the Predator would still have over 1700W available, should be plenty to run the AC with the Easy Start.

Nice thing about the Predator is the 750W excess power (2200W -1450W for the AC) at sea level, that is enough to run the AC and my coffee maker at the same time....

Incidently with all of the mods figure I've spent about $1750 including the solar, batteries, generator, controller, load center, and soft start device & can now dry camp in hot weather comfortably for any length of time.
Thanks for all your testing. Based on your estimate of the power drop and Predator performance at up to 7,500 feet, my family and I should now be able to camp without hookups almost anywhere we want to go.

Our total investment in the project is about $840 ($500 for the generator, $330 for the Easy Start, and less than $10 for the SPP6 hard start capacitor that did not work). Maybe we will consider adding some portable solar in the future, but for now, we have all we need to camp comfortably without shore power and we feel the cost was very reasonable for what we gained.

I finished reading the "shootout" final draft on your website and it sounds like you now have a great set up for dry camping in your hot and humid region. I really hope you enjoy it!
Old 07-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Oregontrail: " Over 3 days, we ran it for about 12 hours. We came home with some gas left in the generator and I estimate we used 2.5 - 3 gallons total."

That does not sound like you were running the AC all night. Any idea how much of the 12 hours was with the AC going ?