PDA

View Full Version : What year did they stop using wood?

planner23899
03-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Hello,
I was told that in some of the older molder TM'S used to use wood for the sides and that there was an issue with the weight and the wood and rotting out that held the mechanism for the lift? Is that true? and when did they start installing all metal for the sides?

robertkennel
03-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Hello,
I was hoping someone else would answer your question. Until then I will try. I'm sure I will be corrected. In the 90's they started reducing the wood in the main body. I THINK in 2003 is when they stopped using wood for the parts that bind the sides and tops together for the shells. But when in 2003 did they stop? Some 2003 models are built in 2002 and some 2004 models are built in 2003. I guess if you want to be sure I would buy a 2005 or later. There is some good information on this in other threads in the member sections.( you would have to Join) Remember I Think this info is close to being true, Not totally sure. Robert

Wavery
03-04-2009, 12:07 AM
I have a '98 and the framing for the sides is wood (pine, I think). It is so heavily saturated with epoxy resin that I can't imagine wood rot being an issue. It's strong and very light too.

Bill
03-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Robert -

I think you are close to right, perhaps a year or two too late. As you say, the change seems to have been phased in over time and across models.

My 2002 2720SL (bought in Sept or Oct 2001) did not have wood in that area, but instead had aluminum channel.

There is a discussion here, including a number of photos from Larry Loo, whose TM was the same model and year as mine. I posted some pics as well, but they seem to be gone.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537

Bill

planner23899
03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
For Some reason I can't get into the link you posted Bill? I appreciate your feedback. Just because the TM is a 2002 and possibly has wood inside is this a pre-cursior for problems or this just something to be aware of? I have had several trailers before and I know the havics of wood rot and this is something that I want to stay away from. However on any regualr trailer as long as you keep the top treated and make sure windows are still sealed these problems can be avoided. On TM is there any areas that I need to be aware of to make sure that are sealed properly to avoid water damage?

Bill
03-04-2009, 02:23 PM
For Some reason I can't get into the link you posted Bill?Uh oh. Turns out that's because it is in the Sponsors' section of the Board. Your free trial membership expired about a year ago. So you are missing the entire meat of the board, the dozen or more Technical sections. You can fix that for $12 a year.

There are a number of threads in the Technical sections regarding wood in the frames. The one I referenced was a long one about replacing (if necessary) and strengthening the hold-down stirrups. There are a number of photos showing aluminum framing in the walls of the shells, rather than wood.

Bill

planner23899
03-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Thanks Bill,
Did not realize all I was missing just went on line and paid for the year.....
Take care,
Steve

Bill
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Glad to have you with us! Somehow we don't do a very good job of letting people know what they are missing - the Technical forums, more than a dozen of them, just disappear one day, and many folks don't know what happened. I'm not sure how to handle it better, except to have the members keep reminding people.

Bill

kenngeri2720
03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Bill, I can’t get in either I joined in May of 2008 but my header does not show Site Sponsor. I am not able to access lot areas on the web site.

ShrimpBurrito
03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Ken & Geri - Your trial membership likely expired. You can check the status and renew if necessary here:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/payments.php
(http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/payments.php)

It's well worth it!

Dave

kenngeri2720
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks Dave but I did pay in May 2008.

Bill
03-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Ken -

If you paid in May 2008, then you should be good until May 2009. Let me give the boss a yell, and see what's up.

Bill

kenngeri2720
03-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks Bill

mtnguy
03-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Trailmanor still uses wood for the framing at the open ends of the shells.....I saw that during a factory tour last summer. That probably gives it a little more needed flex in that area versus aluminum. The rest of the shells appear to be aluminum framed.

And if I remember correctly from that tour, the bottoms are still wood framed.