TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
rkflorane
BannedUsers

Default bike rack information

I just purchased a 2003 2720 SL and would like to add a bike rack to the back bumper. Am looking at a rv bumper adapter that bolts on the bumper but not sure if the TM bumper is strong enough for this. Anyone had any experience adding a bike rack and if so, what kind.
rkflorane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkflorane View Post
I just purchased a 2003 2720 SL and would like to add a bike rack to the back bumper. Am looking at a rv bumper adapter that bolts on the bumper but not sure if the TM bumper is strong enough for this. Anyone had any experience adding a bike rack and if so, what kind.
Not sure the bumper is strong enough but if it isn't, you could look into a bolt on receiver hitch that you could bolt directly to the frame. However, there are other issues to consider.

Any weight that you add to the back of your trailer will take weight away from the front of the trailer.

1. Don't exceed any of the weight limits on the trailer, GVWR, axle rating, tires etc.

2. Be sure to maintain at least 10% of your total, loaded trailer in tongue weight.

If your tongue weight gets too light, you may experience swaying. That means if you add weight to the back, you will need to add more weight to the front as well but you have to do it without exceeding your weight limits....I think they call that "Juggling"..
Wavery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #3
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Kaye

The 4 inch box bumper found on 2003 and older TMs is strong enough to hold a bike rack. My local dealer, you know who, used to bring home 2 TMs at a time from the factory until he totaled two at once. That was the end of my 2002 2720SL I have also seen a big fiberglass bass boat in tow behind a TM. There was a clamp on 2 inch hitch receiver on the back of my 1997 TM but I never used it.

On the other hand, there was at least one report that I know of about a weld failure on this type bumper so check carefully.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Dick Thomas

I broke both welds on bumper with two light bikes after about 1,000 miles. I replaced it with a heavier gauge 4 inch square bumper. It won't hold the sewer fittings, but can hold the hoses.
so far I have another 2,000 miles and no problem.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Scott O

This topic has been discussed extensively on this forum in the past. A search should find some good information. I don't remember us ever coming up with a solution which worked for everyone. The best I have found is to use a pickup truck as a TV and keep the bike(s) in the bed! Of course, that doesn't work if you don't have a pickup...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #6
PopBeavers

I have the factory installed hitch receiver on my 2005 TM 2720. It is clearly marked as limit 100 pounds.

I can not use it for my son's mountain bikes, because they weigh over 40 pounds each (downhill race bikes). Plus the weight of the rack.

A bike rack on the back, unlike a carrier tray, is relatively tall, and will vibrate and wiggle a lot. This can result in fatigue and premature failure.

If you choose to carry bikes on the back I offer two suggestions:

1. Try it and follow along in a car to observe how much it shakes.
2. Use a bike cable and lock to secure the bike frames to the TM frame. Not to prevent theft, but to prevent leaving them in the middle of the freeway if the rack fails.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #7
gjmaker95

Default Adding a 2" receiver hitch to my '06 3023KB

Just picked up an '05 3023 in a private sale. However, I want to add a 2" receiver hitch to it so I can haul our 4 mountain bikes on the back of the TM. I am hauling with a '13 Toyota Tacoma but need the truck bed for other items (firewood for local camping, cooler w/snacks/drinks for longer trips, luggage, etc.) so I really 'need' the bikes on the back of the camper. Since I have the "newer" bumper, I wanted to know if anyone had a suggestion on where to get a receiver hitch mounted to the rear bumper/frame. I was thinking of going to my local UHaul and getting them to mount one. Did that for my 2000 Honda Odysee way back when and they only charged $150. What do you all suggest? Anyone added a bumper hitch? Concerns/issues/?
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Greg, use the "search"tool at the top of the page and type in "bike rack weight" there are several threads that you should read, especially one by our moderator Bill.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
gjmaker95

Default bike rack reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
Greg, use the "search"tool at the top of the page and type in "bike rack weight" there are several threads that you should read, especially one by our moderator Bill.
I have looked through those postings and I understand the tongue weight issue. I hadn't realized how much tongue weight these trailers had until now. I'm considering a dual hitch adapter, but I don't know if they can handle a weight distribution hitch, which I am also going to purchase. The specs on the most robust one I can see on Amazon is for 400# tongue weight and 4000 lb. GVWR for the towed vehicle. That would allow me to get the bike weight onto the back of my TV rather than the TM, but doesn't look like it will let me use the WDH.

Thoughts?
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I would prioritize adding the WDH first. Your 3023 loaded for camping will have a 500 to 600 pound tongue weight. Then if a bike rack can be added, great, but if not there might be other alternatives. Seems like I saw a rack that could be added to the truck bed that fits into the rail.holes and was adjustable. If you have a shell on your truck they also make racks for the shell roof.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote