TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
Travler

Unhappy Heater (Furnace) Malfunction

Has anyone had a problem with the heater on there 06 2720SD

I went to use mine this weekend........I set the thermostat and nothing happened.....the gas was on and I was hooked up to shore power.

Any suggestions ?
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the heater on there 06 2720SD

I went to use mine this weekend........I set the thermostat and nothing happened.....the gas was on and I was hooked up to shore power.

Any suggestions ?
Did you check the fuse/circuit breaker for the heater? If mine didn't come on, that would be the first thing I'd check. Secondly, was the switch at the bottom of the thermostat turned to the "on" position? (or has TM changed to a different thermostat?)

When you said, "the gas was on" I'll assume you know the propane tank had plenty of fuel in it.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Freedom

Had you purged the propane lines by using a burner on the stove. If there isn't gas at the furnace in a certain length of time, it will quit trying to light and shut itself down.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
BobRederick

Travler

There are two circuits to the heater.
1) 12V. The fan should come on if you have 12V. Simply swing the thermostat to a temperature warmer than the air. It clicks off at the far lowest temp on mine.
2) Propane. A few seconds after the fan comes on (maybe 30 sec) you should hear the gas valve click on followed by the flame lighting. The battery must be in reasonable shape, that is, not low. If low, the gas valve won't come on.

Best wishes.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Travler

Thank you.

I did not know that the Battery had anything to do with the heater. I did notice that when we got back home the Battery level was low and if I was a betting man...I'd bet the battery was low while we were out camping.....however the battery was charged before we left to go camping.

What I'll do is hook a Battery charger to the battery charge it to the correct level 13.0 V and try the heater....if it works I know the battery is bad...or could I have a chargeing problem.........I thought the battery was being kept charged while going down the road from the TV electrical system...:
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Travler -

Keep us informed of your results, especially if you continue to have problems. It sounds like there may be a battery charging issue - nothing serious. All the answers you have already received on the furnace, the thermostat, and so forth, have been great.

By the way, by 2006 models, there is no separate ON-OFF switch on the bottom of the thermostat. I know it was there in 2002 - I know it was gone by 2006. When did it change? Anyone?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
mtnguy

Our 2003 does not have the on-off switch on the bottom. When you move the temperature switch all of the way to the left, you can feel the switch cut off.

Chap
Old 11-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Scott O

Travler...be sure to check the inline fuse on top of the battery. Ours was not blown through but discolored. It was enough to keep the battery from charging, no matter what the power source is. Please keep us posted.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler View Post
Has anyone had a problem with the heater on there 06 2720SDI went to use mine this weekend........I set the thermostat and nothing happened.....the gas was on and I was hooked up to shore power.
Any suggestions ?

did not know that the Battery had anything to do with the heater. I did notice that when we got back home the Battery level was low and if I was a betting man...I'd bet the battery was low while we were out camping.....however the battery was charged before we left to go camping.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if you're connected to 115V 'Shore Power' I don't think the TM's storage battery has anything to do with the functioning of the furnace's blower motor. With AC power connected you could conceivably run the blower/furnace without a battery. While the blower's motor is 12V, it's the on board converter that converts 115V AC power to 12V power for the blower and other 12V devices (overhead lights,
Thetford Recirculating Toilet, 12V charger).

As others have suggested, I'd check the 12V blower fuse first. If that's OK, make sure you have good propane flow (as Freedom mentioned, lighting a stovetop burner gives you visual proof that you have propane flow). Also check the exhaust flue to make sure it's clear. If things check out, I'd suspect some problem with the furnace/igniter itself. Suburban, who makes a lot of these furnaces, suggests professional service. Probably a good idea when dealing with propane.

Nick

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if you're connected to 115V 'Shore Power' I don't think the TM's storage battery has anything to do with the functioning of the furnace's blower motor. With AC power connected you could conceivably run the blower/furnace without a battery. While the blower's motor is 12V, it's the on board converter that converts 115V AC power to 12V power for the blower and other 12V devices (overhead lights, Thetford Recirculating Toilet, 12V charger).
Nick
Nick -

You are right about this.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote