TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Frank777

Default Air Conditioner freezing up

The A/C has been freezing up. After several hours of running on high cool it reduces the amount of cold air coming out. If I turn it off for an hour or so it comes back to normal.

I called the Car Store in Colorado Springs and they said it is caused by water dripping on the coils. Their advice was to remove the cover, clean the dust off and then hose it down. Also to run it on low or medium in hot humid weather.

It was well into the 90's and humid while we were in Albuquerque when it happened.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks, Frank
Old 08-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Doug W.

That can be one cause. If that does not fix it,then it can also be because you are low on freon.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

We have the side mount A/C and this happened to us once. It was indeed caused by a dirty filter. After cleaning that and letting the ice thaw off (it was REALLY iced over) it worked fine again. It's been several years, we clean the filter regularly, and no recurrence.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Frank,

We haven't had a problem with our TrailManor AC, but have only used it a few times in high humidity.

As Doug says, I too have heard that low freon can cause that problem.

We used to sell window air conditioners and I know of three other reasons that cause freeze up in high humidity. All were caused when there wasn't ENOUGH air flow accross the evaporator coils (cold ones ) to keep any frost from building up.

1) Running it on Low. - Not enough air...
2) A dirty filter. - Not enough air...
3) Having the thermostat turned all the way up so, that frost on the coils could not melt off. - The compressor needs to go off every once in a while to melt any frost that has been formed.

These are all simple things that you can check or do. If it isn't one of these then a service call is in order so they can check the pressures.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
Frank777

Default Lost Cause

I had a local A/C man come and look at it knowing that if it was due to low freon he could take care of it.

As soon as we took off the cover we both saw it. The compressor was leaking oil. Two of the copper tubes had rubbed together and caused a pin hole leak. He didn't charge me for the call.

I have a new A/C on order through the Car Store in Colorado Springs. Glad we found it before we began our 3 month trip.

Thanks for all the input.

God bless, Frank