TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
sir1doc

Default replace the awning?

Greetings all,
New here and Love the forum. After all the reading I went through trying to decide on a TM, I feel like I know some of you quite well.
Here's the story. I am a long time camper, no boondocking but lots of family camping in a TT as a kid. My DW on the other hand had never camped at all . Her folks moved 3 yrs ago for career change and became big into trail riding and camping. They camp near us several times each season so they wanted us to join them. They even bought me a family tent for a bday!!! again I say, my wife had NEVER been camping. Last thing I wanted was to take her, the daughter, and a new born for 3 days in a TENT!
Budget was small so we ran out an bought a used Coleman PU and our camping began. She loved it! phew! We only made it through one and half seasons before she wanted a Bathroom, Fridge and AC. we are stuck with the current TV for a year and never go far because of the kids so I looked for smaller TTs and better PUs when I saw a TM on ebay. It was expensive but I liked all of the same features that all of you do so I began the quest, Six months later I found one in my price range and distance. hard to find here in Ohio. So I now have a 1991 M26 that I was lucky enough to purchase from the original owners who sadly were retired when they bought it and now age has stopped them from camping. They were sweet. It is in wonderful shape and needs next to nothing except, (here comes the question finally) an awning. The original had blown off years ago and they never replaced it.
I priced the replacement from a dealer and it was $900.00 way to much for me. My question and it may be a dumb one is has any of you used a simple bag awning on your TM ? if not, what have you replaced your awning with?
I have read little about the factory awning except that it is weak with wind.
Thanks for listening and sorry for rambling, just happy to be a TM owner!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
pbuck1

There are less sophisticated (and therefore more inexpensive) awnings available. Try here:

http://www.interwestsports.com/

Paul
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
sir1doc

thanks for the input, I guess I can assume that a regular bag type can be mounted on the TM in the same way as the standard factory one.
I like the idea of the canopy but wonder if the 6'3" clearance would cause a prob if too close to the door and it may funnel the rain to the door. I'll keep thinking
Thanks
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
Freedom

We had a "bag" awning on our tent trailer and it was adequate. I like the TM one a lot more, though. Very few awnings are wind proof so don't look for that in an awming. The one concern I would have, would be whether the "legs" on the bag awning would be tall enough to let the door open. It was really close on our tent trailer and there was even a wheel on the corner of the door to prevent the door from tearing the awning. There are better awnings than what come on the TM, but there again you are talking a lot more money.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm with Leon and Paul on this one.

If I were buying a new TM (and I've done it twice!), I would buy the awning just for the impact on resale value. However, we have opened the awnings on our TMs exactly once - to check it out before taking delivery.

Since you already own the TM, and it doesn't have an awning, I wouldn't spend $900 to put one on. I don't think you would ever get that back in resale value. Get something simpler.

Of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
PopBeavers

We have had our TM 2720 for a year. We have used the awning perhaps 3 out of 11 or so trips.

I'm glad we bought it with the new TM. However, I also would not spend 900 dollars to replace it on anything more that a few years old. Either get something free standing or get something cheaper.

Since we are mostly away from camp from around 10 am until 4 pm we have little use for the awning. If you will be kicking back and sitting in camp all day then it may have a higher value.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
TexasThunder

Where do you hang your lights?
Just kidding. I use mine all the time and I guess I better make it last if it cost 900 bucks to replace. We just replaced a small plastic part on one of the corners, but it was inexpensive and arrived in a flash from the awning company.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #8
sir1doc

What wonderful input. I love these forums.
I think I will keep an eye out at the local super stores for a EZ canopy to go on sale and try that. They are cheap enough that if I hate it I'm sure I can sell it in a garage sale and try something else.
Thanks again for all the info
Old 03-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Bill & Lisa

We've had the bag awning on our PU, didn't like the fact that you could never get the water out of them! After 2 years it mildewed, no matter what I did to air dry, clean, remove mildew, etc. Secondly, unless you go with a higher end bag model, the mechanism for the legs and trailer support bracket is all in one place. If one section goes the whole unit is gone and you're back to square one. It happened to us! I'd opt for the canopy and place it where you want it. Most awning poles aren't 7' tall so be sure you check door clearance.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #10
Freedom

Cool TM picture, Texas Thunder!