TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2003, 01:46 AM   #1
Mark

Default Introduction and Sewage Disposal Question

Last weekend we took delivery on a new TM 2720!
After researching Pop-Ups and Hybrids the 2720 offered the best bang for our towing and storage buck.  We appreciate all the great advise and sharing of information we have gleaned from this forum.

In preparation for our first trip we are trying to decide about black and grey water disposal methods.  We have a sewer clean-out in our paved drive that is accessible for us to use when we return.  Not sure how to get it opened but will be going out to the local Lowe's today to see what they have.  We have seen the portable wheeled totes and because of the price and size of these have decided to wait on purchase.  If you are using these: Where do you store them duing transport?  What size are you using?  Which brand? etc.   Last night we saw some collapsible 5 gallon containers being sold for grey water disposal on a few camping supply websites.

http://www.rvlifestyles.net/Catalog/...X0411120412047  

Has anyone tried these?  Looks like you can tee two together to give you a 10 gallon capacity.  Can they also be used for black water?

Thanks in advance for for your replies!
See you on the road.

Mark and Mary Ann (and Mac)
Concord, NC
Old 04-05-2003, 04:04 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Introduction and Sewage Disposal Question

You're right.  The blue honey wagon tanks are very expensive, though I imagine one reason is that you don't want to have one fail on you.  We've yet to use ours, but I know that the standard ones are strong and durable, and I haven't found other methods of dumping like the ones you describe that I would go with.   With two young kids, we have decided to bite the bullet and go as much as possible for sewer connection sites, and on those times when we've had to have only an electric and water connection, we've paid for a pumpout if the toilet fills before we've finished camping -- it just seemed worth it to us.

We do try to limit solid waste in the toilet to maximize time between dumps and odor.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:31 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

We carried a 35 gal. for the first couple of years we had our TM. Only used it twice... and didn't really need to as we could have dumped at the dump station on the way out. Since our tow vehicle was a p/u, we carried the tank in the bed.

The greatest potential problem is the 6.2 gal. capacity of the "black tank." If you camp more than 3 days, and only use the TM toilet, 2 people will fill it. Suggest using the campground facilities as often as possible. We did and could stretch our "dump times" to 7 days. :

If you "boondock" then you want a blue tote that is large enough to hold all your gray water. First dump the black tank into the blue tote, and flush the line with a small amount of gray water. After dumping the tote, then come back and empty your gray tank. :P

Using a 5 gal. or 2 hooked together will not work, in my opinion, because your black tank holds more than 5 gal. and your gray tank holds more than 10 gal. :-/

Best solution, if you're set on buying a tank, is to get one large enough to hold the waste of your largest tank and that has wheels you can pull easily. Remember water weighs 8.3# per gallon, so the totes can get quite heavy when you are pulling them to the dump station. ;D
Old 04-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #4
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

I use a 10 gal. blue tote. It will hold the full contents of the terlit. It will take three dumps to empty the grey water tank. I did six days with a water and electric hookup. By using the campground facilites as much as possible, the four us were able to go the six days with two dumps of the grey water.

Most of the time we camp with full hook ups.

Like Paul I've only used it about four times. Most of the time I can make it until I pull out.

But I always bring it when I don't have full hookups. Because one time, one of my children left the water supply to the shower on and did not turn the shower head all the way off. Six hours later, I had a full tank. Fortunately, I was at a full hook up site. But if I wasn't the blue tote would have gotten me out of that predicament. ;D ;D

I store the blue tote in the bath tub while transporting. It fits quite nicely. 8)
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 01:28 AM   #5
arknoah

These ideas about transporting the blue tank are good, and I hope we never have to use it.  Right now, since it is unused, we can carry it in the Tow vehicle.  In an earlier thread, I read where people have secured their totes in the front of the unit behind the propane bottles.  That way it's out of the unit.