TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Tampajohn

Default Ok I will bite. Giving the Air Conditioner a try should be interesting.

Yep we have the 13K Mach, but it takes two Champion 2000 watt generators to run them. What I am going to try is to put one 6500 Window Air conditioner on a moving dolly hanging out the door of my TM when we park without hookups. Camping this weekend in Florida, I noticed the Mach did not run a whole lot even at 90 degrees. Tomorrow I am throwing the window air in the bottom door and putting a spacer above the door and close the top door to see how it does in keeping the TM cool. When traveling, I will just slap it somewhere on the rollers so it does not move around. The Champion generators are 53 db and I only need one to run the window air conditioner. We have been known to stay at our shares of Walmarts and especially at night, I don't think I need the beast (Mach) running to keep us comfortable. When we need to get out, I will just roll it in so we can crawl over it. Yep another one of my crazy ideas, but no cost since I already have everything needed. Any input would be appreciated. John

Anyone crazy enough to camp this way. Air in the door of a TM is nothing.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Umm, unless I am missing something, I think carrying around an extra genny to run the roof AC is FAR easier than rigging up a window unit at the entry door. The latter sounds like a major big-time PITA. Just my opinion though.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

Default portable ac?

kinda had somewhat of the same thinking? on one of the older tm's i had the side mounted ac was acting up, my thought was one of the portable room ac, that you can roll from room to room, was kinda funny you even mention, seen a nice (lg) brand at the pawn shop today about $200, that was the route i was going to go, just some food for thought

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
Tampajohn

Well I thought the same thing, but two 53 db generator are still noisy and use more fuel. Just brainstorming. I will try anything. Appreciate input.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Tampajohn

Tried a portable LG 7000 and generator did not have enough poop to fire it up. Again had to hook up both gennies. Trying to get away from two of them. John

BTW even put a high capacitor in the LG and still required two generators.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have camped next to people in August that camped in tents in an air conditioner before and they said it worked great at night.

Your braver then I am...most Walmarts in the Jacksonville area have a lot of undesireables around and usually the neighborhoods seem to go down after a Walmart moves in. At least it seems that way in Jacksonville. Of course I am married to a retired police officer who has a brother that is still a police officer so I have always heard things that the general public does not always hear or I hear before it hits the news.

On a big new day you won't hear about the petty thefts, purse snatching, and car jackings that go on at the Walmart on Beach at Hodges but on a slow day it will make the news.

BIL has had to write over five reports in one day.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
Tampajohn

Default Got it in

Ok got it in. Actually J&B Weld the bottom of the window airconditioner with four casters. Roll the air conditioner over to the door opening with the rear castors over the lip where the door is. Cut a couple pieces of plywood to fill the space above the air conditioner. It works. When not using, I just roll it on the lip in front the couch where it stays. Not the most powerful air conditioner, but seems to help. Will know more when we try it when heading out Friday. John.