TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
WildWG
Site Sponsor

Default Camping Below Freezing

We frequently camp in November and early December and I always am worried about damage to our TM from freezing temperatures. We have had the water pump freeze overnight but thaw out in the morning without damage, but we have experienced a cracked gray water drain pipe when I failed to make sure that all liquid had left it before capping it for winter. Now, when we are camping and I expect freezing temps, I leave the gray water valve open and the cap off. This is fine in some camping spots but frowned upon by authorities in others. The only place we camp in these conditions does provide electricity, so we keep a small electric heater going at night in the TM. So far our Thetford has not frozen up, but you never know.

I really would like to be able to use our TM in freezing weather without worrying about pipes, etc. freezing and breaking. Have any of you modified your trailers for such conditions and if so, what have you done?

Thanks!

WWG
WildWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

You might check post #5 here http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=ultra+heat

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
rumbleweed

I haven't seen this posted anywhere so I will throw it out. If you are camping in cold weather,( <40) be sure to check under the mattress when you get home as the moisture from your body will condense on the cold bed platform. Not a problem unless you forget to dry it out when you get home.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Scott O

Reminded me of something I will do the next time I am out in cold weather. The bed support is basically uninsulated. Seems that a pad of any kind under the mattress would help keep cold from coming up from below. Also, we found a heated mattress pad which really knocks the chill off (110v only).
Old 11-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Bluegrass

We noticed that our mattress got quite cold when the temperature dipped at night. I bought a couple of solar blankets and put them under the mattress with the shiny side up. It may just be our imagination but it seems to make a real difference.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
Al-n-Sue

A previous owner added a thin (1/4 ") vapor barrier/insulating blanket to each of the bunks. It does a great job of protecting the beds form the cold coming in the underside of the bunk.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I think you're all crazy.......
Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #8
mtnguy

The Trailmanor is set up pretty good for camping in freezing weather. A lot of campers out there have the fresh and waste water tanks hanging underneath in the cold, plus an area of the lines that have to run through uninsulated areas. The fresh water tank, as well as the Thetford reservoir are in the heated area of a Trailmanor. You just have to worry about the grey water tank.....maybe empty that every nite into a tote and then to the dump station before the temperature gets down too low ?? Or, in some areas, you can run the grey water to the ground?? Or worst case, add a gallon or 2 of RV antifreeze as you add waste water to the tank??
Old 11-04-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Wayne,

LOVE IT!!!

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
The Trailmanor is set up pretty good for camping in freezing weather. A lot of campers out there have the fresh and waste water tanks hanging underneath in the cold, plus an area of the lines that have to run through uninsulated areas. The fresh water tank, as well as the Thetford reservoir are in the heated area of a Trailmanor. You just have to worry about the grey water tank.....maybe empty that every nite into a tote and then to the dump station before the temperature gets down too low ?? Or, in some areas, you can run the grey water to the ground?? Or worst case, add a gallon or 2 of RV antifreeze as you add waste water to the tank??
I'm not thinking about the camper. I'm thinking about the humans that would subject themselves to that sorts abuse.

I spent a month in Antarctica (was supposed to be a week) on my sailboat. Darn near froze to death......... no longer find cold weather "FUN".....but that's just me.