View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question Propane...how much do y'all use each day?

In this thread discussing the water heater's electric element , Wayne (G_V Driver) wrote:
Quote:
I've been grousing to myself about the blankety electric switch being outside ever since I found out it had one. Used to hate to go outside (especially in the dark when it always seemed to fail) and light the pilot, now I grumble about the electric switch.

I've gotta figure out how to do this mod. I may never buy another tank of propane.
That last part just totally boggled my mind.

As an almost-exclusively boondock camper I seldomly have electrical hookups and my camping is almost always in cool to downright cold high altitude campgrounds. In mid-summer, I go through at least a gallon of propane a day; closer to nearly 2 gallons a day in early and late summer. Probably most of it is for the furnace (it runs 3 to 4 hours a day), quite a bit for the stove and oven (I use the oven for an hour or more almost every day), and some for the refrig. Not much for the water heater though...I'm so stingy with water, the water heater seldomly comes on...even during/after a shower. AFAIK, my water heater doesn't even have an electrical element. I'm probably at about the extreme for propane use but I sense that my water heater is a very small part of the total.

Hence Wayne's comment really raised my curiousity...how much (or little) propane do the rest of you use? And which appliance is likely your major propane user?

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote