TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-18-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Cappy915

Question ? About Interior Walls

Is it possible to mount anything to the walls??
Like a small mount for a 19"-22" flat screen TV. I know I would have to make sure it didn't stick out so the shell will close but wasn't sure if the interior walls could handle anything mounted on them. Thanks!!
Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
PopBeavers

Others have done so. Soon, someone will jump in here with details.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy915 View Post
Is it possible to mount anything to the walls??
Like a small mount for a 19"-22" flat screen TV. I know I would have to make sure it didn't stick out so the shell will close but wasn't sure if the interior walls could handle anything mounted on them. Thanks!!
I've mounted a few things to the interior walls - a flat screen LCD TV, an over the stove cabinet, and a small accessory shelf. For the TV I used shortened (cut) plastic anchors with screws short enough not to protrude through the kitchen/bathroom wall. For the cabinet and utility shelf, I used the same two-piece bracket devices (w/o wall anchors) the factory uses to hang the over the sink cabinet. Because nothing is left hanging while in the towing mode, there is much less strain on the walls/screws. Eventually, if the screws begin to wobble I'll try something else - but so far so good

As I recall I did some posts here after I hung the TV, and over-the-stove cabinet, and included some pictures. If I can find them again, I'll reference the links for you.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Interior Wall Hanging

Cappy915,

If found the post about hanging the TV - not sure what ever happened to the pictures - I might have deleted them due to space limits (??) Anyway, there are several post here, so you'll get the idea. In my case, I mounted the TV on the kitchen/bathroom wall above the kitchen sink, as this seemed the best place in our 2619 TM.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=5143
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Someone recently posted that they have had good success with the screws that are used to hold roof racks onto SUVs. I think it was Lars (something) sorry Lars, too lazy to look up your last name or userid, and my memory isn't what it used to be).

As I recall, it has a rubber piece that inserts inside the wall, similar to a Molly, and then it expands when you tighten it up.

I wonder what the factory uses for the hanging cabinet over the sink and the front lip of the table in my 2720?
Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
MudDog
TrailManor Master

HarveyRV had recommended Well-Nuts in this thread:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8441

I used them to mount two LCD TV mounts to the interior of the upper shells (one in the middle of the back shell street side, and one on the front street side wall near the dinette) for a 19" LCD.

I bought one of these LCD mounts at walmart.com for the front:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10056394

And one of these for the back:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10056399

The part that attaches to the wall is the same on both mounts and is very thin. The rest of the mount slides over it - so you can easily remove the LCD with the rest of the mount attached to it.

I did take a hacksaw to the little hook that acts as cable management at the bottom of the mounting bracket because I did not want to chance anything cathing anywhere when opening or folding down.

I've also built a felt lined box in the storage area out of some scrap plywood to hold the LCD (with the rest of the mount still attached) when in transit - will try to take some pictures next time I have the TM out.

Just got back from a 10-day, 1700 mile trip and the mounts and well-nuts did great
Prodigy Brake Controller/TST TPMS
15" Maxxis M8008 225/75R15
Honda EU2000i (Tri-Fuel Converted)
160W Solar/Morningstar Sunsaver MPPT
Xantrex Link-Lite & ProWatt SW2000 Inverter

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost
MudDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
bebotx

Lightbulb Wall mounted shelf ideas

I've added 3 shelves and the over-the-stove cabinet to my TM, in addition to the OEM rear bed TV shelf that came with my 2005 2720SL. I made a shelf approx. the same size and configuration as the OEM TV shelf to create some extra kitchen counter space, and mounted it to the right of the fridge toward the couch on the lower wall. Since it's near the electric receptacle on the side of the fridge, it's a good place to set the coffeemaker, phone charger, etc.

I recently added an 8" x 24" shelf on the LR wall between the windows on the street side, on the upper shell section. On my TM, the inner wall section between the LR windows is a thin plywood rather than sheet metal. This shelf holds a 19" flat screen TV/DVD combo purchased at Walmart that weighs under 10 lbs. I originally thought I'd hang a flat screen TV mount, but then discovered the TV would sit closer to the wall if it was sitting on a shelf, and that the shelf would be more versatile as it also holds the remote, DVD case, etc. Now we can see the TV from the kitchen and the LR at the same time.

I like to read in bed, but don't care for the fluorescent overhead light, so I added a small shelf on the wall next to the wardrobe in the bed area. This shelf is the shape of 1/4 circle (about a 10" radius), and holds a small incandescent lamp, the TV remote, glasses, etc. I run the lamp cord behind the wardrobe and plug it in at the receptacle next to the microwave drawer.

I've used flush mounts for all the shelves, either ordered from TM or from Rockler, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=346. I attached the wall sides of the flush mounts using 1" #8 hollow wall anchors from HD. This is the way TM mounted the hanging cabinet and TV shelf flush mounts in my trailer.

I also used a smaller thin flush mount to make a wall mounted shower head mod. Using flat head sheet metal screws, I screwed one half of a 1" flush mount to the back of a plastic showerhead bracket (purchased at Lowe's) exactly like the one that comes mounted near the shower tub faucet. I then screwed the other half of the flush mount to the street side wall of the shower, also using sheet metal screws (and a dab of caulk on each) instead of hollow wall anchors since this is a light duty application. So far so good.

Had already done a shower curtain mod years ago to accomodate a velcro wall mount for the OEM hand held shower, on the street side wall above the tub faucet. When I upgraded to the Oxygenics showerhead recently I found I needed a stronger mount.

I've made all my shelves from inexpensive prefinished shelving and brackets from HD or Lowe's, found in the home organization section. I find that this shelving is generally lighter weight than what I find in the lumber section, with nice finishes and a selection of stylish brackets. I've been able to get some really close prefinished matches to the wood color/grain of my TM cabinets, and found shelf brackets that match the ones that came on the OEM shelf - I'm very particular about my trailer decor!

I also love the Command picture hanging strips for hanging pictures and they can be used for other small items you want to hang on the wall. We hang a small dry erase board near the door to keep track of things in the TM that need to be replaced after an outing. We just pop off the dry erase board and take it home with us 'til the next trip.

Need to take pictures and post them, but always forget when I have the trailer set up!

Betty
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
MudDog
TrailManor Master

I had the TM out this weekend and took pictures of the Walmart mounts I mentioned above. As mentioned in the earlier post, I cut off the bottom cable management hook just to make it as flush as possible.

Below are a few pictures of the front mount with and without the LCD panel, a picture of the rear mount and a picture of the under-cushion storage compartment where I added some padded framing to hold the LCD's during travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front_mount.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	3540   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_tv1.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	3541   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_tv2.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	3542   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_rv.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	3543   Click image for larger version

Name:	tv_storage.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	3544  

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
AdamJP

Hi MudDog,
Could you explain how the well nuts mount into the wall? Size of hole needed for them?
Were you able to use the screws included with the mount or did you have to purchase mm size screws? Thanks in advance for the information.
AdamJP
2006 2720SL
2006 F150
Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
MudDog
TrailManor Master

It was a fairly large hole....I think about 3/8" - so you want to be sure of your location before you take the drill to the wall

The well-nuts themselves are a brass nut surrounded by rubber, about 1/2" deep. Most of the well-nut slides into the 3/8" hole with a small lip that rests on the interior (visible side) of the shell skin. You then place the mount over the hole and insert the screw. The screw needs be be long enough to catch the threads on the far side of the well-nut. As you turn, the rubber compresses against the other side of shell skin making a solid mount that won't pull thru the holes and because of the rubber on both sides of the skin, it is somewhat buffered from shock/vibration.

I had to get the proper threaded screws from Home Depot - the Walmart mount only came with wood screws with plastic wall anchors.

Current:
2016 KZ Vision 23BHS