TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Shandysplace

Default PowerMover AC Trailer Dolly

Has anyone purchased one of these to move their TM from the curb (as it appears in the Avatar above) from the front of their home into the driveway immediately behind? It's impossible for us to make this turn despite the trailer hitch on the front of our Suburban.

Not only are we unsure if we can use the dolly to successfully line up the trailer from that curbside position with the driveway close behind it, but also it appears that when the trailer is backed down so the TM wheels come in contact with curb entrance of the driveway, the street grade will lower the TM so much that the bottom of the TM will scrape the driveway (black/grey water drain appears the lowest point), but also the frame holding the propane tanks on our 3326 will probably also scrape on the driveway.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

I have one and could not get the TM in the garage without itl

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=POWERMOVER
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
freein05

I have a Power Caster trailer dolly. I also could not put my TM in the garage without it. It is a 90 degree turn and no room for the TV. You can virtually turn the TM on a dime. It also attached to the TM breaks which is real handy since my driveway has a slop. It was expensive but worth the money.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Scott O

They work wonderfully well, and I doubt if you would have any problem making the turn. Bottom clearance is another issue entirely. It is possible that the mounting point for the dolly could be made lower, which would raise the rear of your TM. I believe they have a 30 day return so if it didn't work... My suggestion is to talk to the guy that makes them. Don't know where you are located, but I believe he has a shop in Buena Park and San Clemente, CA.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
vnmtm1

Default Ac5

I broke down and bought a Powermovers AC5 this year. Although my driveway is fairly straight and I can back in the TM without issues, getting it into the garage with a few inches clearance on each side was always a back-breaking process. So, although I have not used it yet, I am really looking forward to getting the TM in and out of the garage with relative ease.

Also, I might add that dealing with Brady at Powermovers was a pleasant experience. We got on the phone and quickly figured out the right connector for my 3023. I can vouch for fast service and a solid, well-built product.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
jacob mccandles

I have one also. I could not get it into the back yard without it. In fact I would not have a trailmanor if I did not have one.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Shandysplace

Default PowerMover

Thanks for all these helpful replies. We are working w/Brady at PowerMover to try and resolve the clearance issue. At this point it does appear that there is insufficient ground clearance. In the back the black/grey dump drain will hit and in the front the bottom of the propane tank frame (which is even lower) will hit.

Are any of you backing into a, how shall we say, a standard subdivision driveway entrance where the street slopes down to the entrance for drainage and then up to the sidewalk? Trying to measure this by sight it appears the vertical distance from the street to the sidewalk is about 6-8 inches. Possibly enough for the black/grey water drain to clear, but not enough for the propane tank frame to clear.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
Are any of you backing into a, how shall we say, a standard subdivision driveway entrance where the street slopes down to the entrance for drainage and then up to the sidewalk? Trying to measure this by sight it appears the vertical distance from the street to the sidewalk is about 6-8 inches. Possibly enough for the black/grey water drain to clear, but not enough for the propane tank frame to clear.
I'm having trouble visualizing your setup, but if the drainage ditch in the image I have is the limiting fact, what about temporarily filling in the ditch while you move the TM in and out? A piece of heavy gauge steel to bridge across it, like the plates you see on roads covering work holes, would certainly do it. Plywood may even be a solution if you just support it underneath with wood. Sounds like you'd need at least one or two 4x4s underneath it -- I would put as much support as I can under there without raising it up. That will prevent sag which presumably is the problem to begin with.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have the same problem. I keep a couple 3-foot lengths of 2X6 handy. When I need to move in and out of the driveway, I just lay them down in the lowest part of the swale (parallel to the swale, not across it like a bridge) where the wheels will cross the swale. Cheap. Easy. Works perfectly.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
Shandysplace

Default PowerMover

We'll look into those suggestions and thanks again so much to all.