TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Bob&Karen

Default Hold Down Latch

While on our latest trip to St. Louis, we had a broken main shell latch. Rear shell, door side. It appears that the weld broke on the inside of this pin. As we were on the road I couldn't call TM and have them ship me a replacement. Went to an RV dealer (non-TM) with the latch and explained the function to the parts guy - he found a pawl pin used on big awnings that fit the opening and installed it for me - quick and easy fix.

I'm thinking about going to a local big box hardware store and finding some bolts/nuts/whatever to carry as spares in the event this happens again.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
mtnguy

You can order those from Trailmanor....$26 plus shipping. One of those puppies broke on me also, but I was able to repair it for a spare, plus I bought an opposite one and carried both with me just in case. There are 2 different ones that work in all 4 places.

Chap
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Karen View Post
I'm thinking about going to a local big box hardware store and finding some bolts/nuts/whatever to carry as spares in the event this happens again.

Bob
I have an assortment of bolts/nuts/wire/rope/fuses/screws/electrical connections etc. that we bring with us on every trip (plus the tools to install them). It never hurts to be prepared. I keep two old casette tape carrying cases filled with those kinds of things under the bottom drawer closest to the rear bed. Seems like every year we add more things to the kit.

And then there's the WD-40, Duct Tape rule. WD-40 for those things that won't come apart and should, and duct tape for those things that should be stuck together and aren't.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
voyager2

We also broke a latch on a trip to Michigan this summer. Simply wired it down and continued our trip. On return, ordered a spare left and right latch from TM which we now carry in the tool kit. As pointed out above, these two will fix all four latches. Add a roll of wire to the WD40 and duct tape rule.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
mtnguy

I think I remember a past post, where they used a strap across the back of the front shell to hold things in place if a latch broke. The strap would have gone over the shell, behind the lift arms, and hooked underneath.....I think, I think.

Chap
Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #6
Bob&Karen

Hmmm... I didn't know there were right and left latches - on casual observation, they all look the same to me - I'll have to look closer.

Bob
Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
Harry Womack

Default Camper Latches

These latches are called camper latches. Available in white or plated. I have bought several at the RV supply. Metro RV in Irving Texas @ 972-554-4678 has them available. They are less than $15.00 ea.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote