TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
Rich_in_Tampa

Default Locking the TM against theft

We store our TM in the driveway of our city house. Even though it's a decent neighborhood, I'd feel better if it were a little less tempting to the typical "hitch-and-run" punks with a pickup.

What's the best easy solution? There are no strong stationery objects near by. I was thinking about a length of impressive chain locked snugly around the coupler to make it impossible to hook up. Other suggestions?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Rich ...there have been threads about this...here is one

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ighlight=locks

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

here's another

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...light=security

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

Old 08-23-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I remember reading on here that some people are considering installing gps tracking devices.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Rich_in_Tampa

Thanks, CG.

That there is always some workaround to almost any security system, and you'll get most of the benefit from a common-sense solution. The money and effort to go from 80% protection (the amateur kid-crook) to 98% protection (the real pros) is very costly. You just have to decide on the "sweet spot" (and pay your premiums).

I'll look into the solutions in the threads you sent me.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I have a city house, but it does have a 3 car garage. One slot for the TM, one for daughters extra car and the third for my stuff that won't fit in the attic, like the table saw.

Our three cars are out in the driveway.

I have not looked at the TM wheels, but some trailers can be secured by using as large of a motorcycle cable lock a you can pass through the slotted wheel.

I have the swing away tongue. It would be tempting to take it off, if I had a need to secure it away from home.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Rich,

I don't have a swing hitch on our 2720SL so to secure the camper I put one of the Master Coupler Locks on the hitch and a master padlock through the coupler lever.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...0&cat=0&page=1

They come in different sizes, so if you get one be sure the one that fits your coupler.

There are many threads about security and using the wheel locks. I was skeptical of how secure they really were, and I was afraid somebody might try to drive with the wheel lock and if it didn't break, it would destroy the camper...

Here is the link to two of those threads:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=wheel+lock

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=wheel+lock

I realize that if somebody really wants the camper, there is nothing I can do about it, but hopefully they will look for an easier target...

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb HDWL from 'equipment lock company'

This won't stop a full flatbed-type attack, where they haul it away without using the TM wheels/tires at all. I can also imagine a dolly-based attack, although I've never SEEN a dolly for over-the-road use (I only know of of devices for inside garages and maintenance builidngs, on smooth floors.)

But I think it hits the sweet spot, at about $200 shipped, pretty easy to put on, MUCH stronger than the snaps like a toothpick trailerkeeper.

But unfortunately, you will need to hacksaw both (a) the end which holds the wheel nut protector; and (b) the wheel nut protector itself.

(a) The end which holds the wheel nut protector plate (the outside end) must be cut down into a smaller "pointed" piece, so that it pokes into one of the traingle-shaped cutouts of your wheel. If you don't insert the HDWL into a specific part of the wheel, it's easy for a thief to attack by (1) raising the wheel off the ground; (2) removing the lug nuts one at a time by spinning the wheel underneath the "nut protector plate" and exposing the nuts; (3) using YOUR spare tire to drive it off. When you come back, there is your wheel sitting on the ground, with the HDWL still on it.

(b) The wheel nut protector should also be trimmed, so that the grease hub a the center of the axle doesn't force it to be left out too far from the wheel.

I spent about 10 minutes each with a hacksaw to do these jobs. (More cutting for the14" wheels, obviously. I've got 15".) When you put it on, your "pointed end" is in the wheel and underneath the lug nut plate, it can't be attacked. The nest way to attack this lock is to simply cut through the whole arm-- but because the square box is so large in size and shape, and the steel so thick, it would take me about 15 mins to do this with a hacksaw. (The orange box steel of the so-called "Trailerkeeper", in contrast, would take me about 3-5 minutes. It's both much smaller AND much thinner.)

Instead of creating a "point" in the end of the arm which points into the wheel from outside, you COULD maybe do a strong chain (soft core, hardened outside) through the HDWL and onto the inner axle. But that would be a hassle every time you put it on and take it off, my way makes mounting and removing the lock a 5 second job.

IF you've got the key And BTW, the lock is surprisingly good, considering this relatively low total price.

http://www.equipmentlock.com/hdwl_home.asp
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #9
larsdennert

How about the theft where they don't take the trailer? Push up the velcro flap to the left of the door, use a hanger to unlatch the top half of the door and you are in. If you have a two year old accomplice or a woman with small hands, they could probably reach in and do it.

Batteries and tanks are easy prey and could be a pricey replacement too.

Seems that the coupler locks don't stop someone from using a smaller ball for an impromtu theft.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #10
KSBASS

Default Door Security Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
How about the theft where they don't take the trailer? Push up the velcro flap to the left of the door, use a hanger to unlatch the top half of the door and you are in. If you have a two year old accomplice or a woman with small hands, they could probably reach in and do it.
I call it my ''door alignment/improve security/my 7 yr old can open/shut the door with ease'' mod. With door halves just where you want them, I drilled and tapped two holes in flange between door halves. One close to hinge side, the other near the white plastic fold-down retainer. I then used 10-32x1/2'' wing screws and held the door halves together. 100% perfect alignment. Door opens with a simple twist, closes with a gentle touch. Would be tough to remove wingscrews from the outside. It does add 66 seconds to the open/shutdown time though!
Troy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Wingscrew.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2229