TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Berkly,

Most of the TMs with the roof seam leaks are from the late 2001 and 2002 model years. The factory was using minimal sealing goop on the seams during that time. The roof was redesigned for 2003, a new sealing procedure was implemented and a new style trim was installed. I have a 2003 model that has never leaked exept for the AC gasket. The gasket was defective (Coleman used the wrong type foam to make the gasket) and was replaced under warrenty.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #12
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

It isn't surprising that the roofs sometimes develop leaks considering the flexing they experience when raised and lowered -- especially when done by only one person. We have one of the older units and I found some sealer at an RV dealer that remains flexible after it's applied. It's good to know TM solved that problem.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #13
Berkly

Picked up the new trailer last thursday. Dealer is somewhat new dealing trailers and didnt know much about the TM. Friday night started driving out to Quartz mountain to do some climbing when after about an hour I started smelling a burning metallic smell that made me concerned. I assume it was the transmission burning oil and decided to turn around and limp back home.

THe next day I had a transmission cooler installed and should be good to go this weekend.

WHile on my way back, I noticed the running lights were out, as well as my left taillight. Trailer brakes and turn signals still worked, so I tested the plug and found no power to the taillights. Gonna have to go back in and have them fix a short in the system or something.

Sunday, crawled underneath the beast and started siliconing all the wirenuts, gaps, seams, and connections into the undercarriage. And was surprised by how many gaps were unsealed. Not a big deal though, gave me a little sense of accomplishment.

But I did find two small drip leaks underneath the fresh water tank, coming out of a hole where the copper tubing was entering the bottom, and another about 1 foot back where the wheel well meets the outer shell in front of the axle. I called the factory and ed told me to check all connections from the fill line into the tank, the water trap under the sink and to check all lines under pressure.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Berkly -

Need a bit more info.

What year/model is your TM?
What year/model is your tow vehicle?

Unsealed "gaps" under the TM are usually not a problem. After all, there are several intentional openings - the intake and exhaust vents for the refrig, and the exhaust vent for the bathroom exhaust, for example. Nothing wrong with sealing around the pipes, of course, if you feel like doing so.

Regarding the drips, Ed is right - you need to explore inside the TM and find the source of the water. Once you find where it is coming from, it is probably a simple matter of tighterning a clamp somewhere.

Thanks

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
Berkly

Bill,

2007 2619 tm
2004 Lexus RX 330 tv,

Those gaps were definately not exhaust or intake vents. Im talking about places where it looks like the factory stapled patches of aluminum after connecting the frame etc.... These pieces of aluminum had been stapled on and after driving around, rattled loose to create gaps between the two. Squirted some silicone in the gap, and pressed the patch sheet back up. Hope this helps.

Measured my tongue height at a little over 21". The cd player on the inside is a nice touch, and although it will play mp3 cds, it dosent have an auxillary plug in to connect my ipod or laptop to watch movies. Im thinking of selling it and replacing the unit with one that has the needed plug ins. It would be nice to watch a movie on my laptop and listening to it through the Tm speakers above the bed. Has anyone added speakers to the outside? I may have to search that mod.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #16
Berkly

Argh, just got back from a weekend trip out at quartz mountain. First two night were great, enjoying the trailer camping in luxury. The third night it rained. In the morning, my friend sleeping on the front bunk notified me of a leak coming through the tv antenna. Just a casual drip coming off the crank. Ed from the factory told me to check the rubber boot holding the wires running into the camper. If thats not the problem, a reseal is in order which involves removing the antenna and re-installing it.

Other than that, Im looking into fabricating a screen door. I was thinking of using strip magnets on the sides to hold it up against the door jam, while using velcro on top to hold it, and a weight on the bottom to hold it down.
Also ordered the lift kit from the factory and will have to take it to a rv service center to have it installed. Ed said Im a good candidate for the lift because my stabalizer jacks rub if I pull straight out of my driveway. At an angle it just barely misses.

Also looking for a softer mattress. Its a little too stiff for my taste, but dang that memory foam is expensive!

anyway, as if you wanted to know all that, see ya outdoors

CM in my new TM
Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Smile Mattress Thought

Welcome to the TM world...we decided to supplement the TM mattress with Therma-rest air mattresses instead of memory foam. This way we could have some control of the firmness. DW sewed a couple "sleeves" from bed sheets (blue to match the TM) that serve as our sheet and protector for the pad. There are many sizes and thicknesses of these pads...we went with the 1 1/2 inch thick set and cannot leave them on the bed for closing down. They do ride on the sofa of our SL and have enough "flex" that they remain fully inflated and ready to throw onto the bed when it is time. Seven or eight nights into this set up and it is working well for us so far...mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #18
2kids2dogs-n-us

Smile mattress topper

We have a memory foam topper that we use on our TM mattress which wasn't too expensive. It works pretty well.

We have a 2002 3023, just bought it last year. We've been through several rainy weekends with it, and the only place it leaked was at one of vents that you crank open. We just re-sealed it and it's fine now.

Enjoy your new TM!

Shannon
2002 3023 and '99 Ford F250 Superduty