TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Lcd Tv

Since counterspace, is at a premium, I decided to mount an LCD TV on the wall next to the sink. I found a low profile wall mounting kit, that will allow the rear bed to slide over it, and the bathroom wall when it is in the down position (the TV of course is removed when we lower the bathroom walls - it just slides off the mount).

The 20" TV only weighs <15 pounds so I wasn't too concerned with the wall supporting it, even though it is only 1/4" Luan with a vinyl covering. I used cut plastic wall anchors and drilled two additional holes into the mounting device. It is quite secure with the two extra mounting holes.

To avoid running the cord over the sink and/or using an extension cord, I added an electrical outlet box at the front of the sink, after relocating the water heater propane ignitor switch. Next step is to add an antenna/cable jack next to the new electrical outlet. Then I have to find something to fill the holes left over from relocating the paper towel holder See pictures attached.
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM   #2
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Very nice. What source did you use for the A/C outlet? What brand/model is the TV? Looks really good.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go View Post
Very nice. What source did you use for the A/C outlet? What brand/model is the TV? Looks really good.
Thanks. It's an Emerson 20" LCD/DVD that also plays CDs. We bought it at WalMart (last one they had at this store). They also make a 15" model which I thought was too small. I'm quite pleased thus far with the TV. It's much better than I thought it would be.

I took the electrical power from the bathroom outlet. In fact there is a large opening between the under-sink area, and the back of the bathroom cabinet. I wound up changing out the outlet in the bathroom because I could't make the extra wires fit. The electrical fixtures (outlets) that they use in the TM are unlike any I've seen - ie. there is no 'work box' to make your connections. The wall plate and plug are one integral unit. You make your electrical connections by pushing the wire against a sharp piece of metal that cuts the wire insulation. No wire nuts are used in the outlets. I would have used their 'box' but I could not make the extra wire fit. One other observation - it's a little difficult to work in such confined areas. This job took much longer than it normally would have had I been doing a similar job in the house!

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
baker75

I was thinking of doing the same thing, only I was thinking about mounting it under the cabinets on the front wall, This way I can hook up My Wii for the kids ( or me ) to play, plus theres cabinet space for the dvd player etc. But, Im new and haven't seen how my system will fold down ( if there's room) if I do it, I'll post pics.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #5
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick View Post
Since counterspace, is at a premium, I decided to mount an LCD TV on the wall next to the sink. I found a low profile wall mounting kit, that will allow the rear bed to slide over it, and the bathroom wall when it is in the down position (the TV of course is removed when we lower the bathroom walls - it just slides off the mount).

The 20" TV only weighs <15 pounds so I wasn't too concerned with the wall supporting it, even though it is only 1/4" Luan with a vinyl covering. I used cut plastic wall anchors and drilled two additional holes into the mounting device. It is quite secure with the two extra mounting holes.

To avoid running the cord over the sink and/or using an extension cord, I added an electrical outlet box at the front of the sink, after relocating the water heater propane ignitor switch. Next step is to add an antenna/cable jack next to the new electrical outlet. Then I have to find something to fill the holes left over from relocating the paper towel holder See pictures attached.

I am glad I saw this thread. I am doing some modifications on mine kinda similar. You just solved one of my problems. Thanks.

I bought a Magnavox 17" LCD with a built in HD tuner, so I can get HD regular broadcasts thru my Trailmanor antenna. I hated to spend that kind of money on just a tv screen, as I searched this one out that also has a vga port, so I can use it as a computer monitor in my house when I'm not camping. This one is going to be doing double duty. I lucked out and bought their display model at Sam's for a discount price of $150, regular $288. I thought it was a good deal.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #6
FightinIrish

I just finished my mod with the flat screen. Ill post the pics when I take some and figure out how to do that here. We have a 2720SL so there is a good amount of open space up front and we thought it would be nice to be able to sit in the chair and on the couch to watch the TV. I pulled out the fridge and shored up the wall on the right side of the fridge where the plugs are located. There is basically a 3/4" frame that the 1/4" paneling is attached to so that would never hold a tv and bracket. I purchased a half sheet of 3/4" three ply plywood and 4 angle brackets securing the brackets to the floor then the ones on the top I was able to secure on screw to the plywood and two screws to the existing 3/4" framing. After that I was able to secure the tv mount which would both swing out about 12" from the wall and tilt up. I mounted it near the corner so I could swing the bracket around and it would actually face the door so you could be sitting outside and watch a ballgame or whatever you like. Ill post the pics when I get a chance. Oh, and the tv is a 20" Vizio and weighs 17 lbs.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
zemmels

I'm interested hanging a flat screen as well. Does anyone know the usable width on that bathroom wall? My camper is moth-balled for the winter and I can't measure.

I know the cabinet takes up some space, but I'm thinking there is about 24" or so there?

Thanks.
Dan
Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

About 18 months ago, I hung mine from the side of the hanging cabinet over the sink. It's a little closer to the couch, so the viewing is good. I also felt that it would allow us to leave stuff on the countertop above the refrig without having it block our view of the TV.

So far it has worked out great. A 15 inch model is about the largest size that will mount in that spot, but a 15 inch set is also easy to take up and down, and it stores well, face down on the couch for travel.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=4968

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Goodyear Travels

We haven't done any permanent mounting and have been very satisfied with simply setting our 23 inch, flat screen Samsung on the flap ledge behind the center of the couch on our 2720sl. When it's movie time in the evening, we face our chairs toward the couch (where our two dogs are usually sleeping) and watch our movies at a very pleasant viewing angle and height. One of the chairs is a light weight but very comfortable, cushioned, outside-folding-chair that I bring in for movie time. We also route the cable from our Direct TV dish up through the same flap ledge. It kind of makes for a little entertainment center with the ledge supporting the TV, the DVD player, a multi-outlet surge protector, and a small stack of movies. Everything is out of the way and clutter is minimized. AND --- the 23 inch in the small trailer is about like our 61 inch in the living room. We feel like we're at the movies. When it's time to pack up I put the 15 lbs TV on the floor beside the couch --- on top of a few folded blankets and surround it with the dogs' floor cushions. It gets a gentle ride home.