TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Mounting Solar Panels

I recently added a 130 watt panel to our 2720SL. For the most part I used Rocky Mountain Ray's methodology. With one exception. Lacking the expertise or access to someone who could machine and flush mount screws onto mounting plates I discovered that "F" tracks which are used for mounting hurricane panels offer the same amount of surface area for glueing (Loctite Depend 330) the panel to the roof as the 5" square aluminun feet used by RMR. If you are in an area subject to hurricanes, then I'm sure your Home Depot or Lowes will have these "F" tracks in stock.

As an added benefit you can use these tracks to mount "something else" on the roof.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #2
larsdennert

How did you end up wiring your panel? It seems that there is an interior lighting circuit on the ceiling that the panel and controller can be wired to feed back into the 12V system. It seems like a few amps backfeeding wouldnt hurt anything in that lead. The only thing would be that bath disconnect switch for the back shell.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #3
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I got the "Jumbo Panel Kit" from rvsolarelectric.com, it includes a controller and 20 Ft. of cable which turned out to be just right for a 2720SL.

The cable runs along the back edge of the top shell, down the arm and attached with zip ties to other electrical cables that are factory installed and then underneath. The 2720SL has a small plastic box built around what I think is the tub drain. I've got the cable going into the TM there. This space goes right into the back area where the battery is located. I placed the controller on the wood wall right next to battery. We've had it a year this month, and is still working fine.

I can email you some picture if you are interested. It's really was much simpler than I ever imagined. Just takes a little patience/planning, definitely NOT rocket science.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
Shandysplace

Default Solar Panel Question

We just ordered a new 3326 King and did not order the Solar Panel option as we assumed that we would be either underway or at a campground w/power to keep our batteries charged.

Is the purpose of the panel to keep the batteries charged when parked and no power is available?

w/r,

Shandysplace
3326 King (on order)
Suburban 1500
Old 10-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
evans27292

shandysplace,call your dealer they can contact factory to add it on.if you hurry.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
We just ordered a new 3326 King and did not order the Solar Panel option as we assumed that we would be either underway or at a campground w/power to keep our batteries charged. Is the purpose of the panel to keep the batteries charged when parked and no power is available?
That is exactly the purpose. If you are going to be boondocking / drycamping for extended periods (several days) without hookups, the panel will recharge your battery so that (within reason) you never run out of power.

If you don't plan much dry camping, the solar option is an expensive toy with no purpose (BTW, I have 2 solar panels).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
Is the purpose of the panel to keep the batteries charged when parked and no power is available?
Yes, a good Solar setup should allow you to run lights and 12V accessories, if used "moderately". Note that the heater, although propane, needs a lot of 12v juice from the battery [in order to run the fan... so Solar is really good for keeping your battery charged if the heater is running at night, too.

NOT A/C, not 120v Microwave. Not electrical heating of any kind. If you want to run A/C, you'll need a generator instead. And, you need clear sky for Solar panels to work well-- don't park under ANY trees, and hope for cloudless, sunny days.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #8
humrick

Thumbs up

We have installed dual panels (Sunsei) 18 watt each. i am VERY pleased, but I do dry camping exclusively (so far) in the National Forest in Colorado Rockies. No hookups possible. I did change out my incandescent lights for flourescent as well. but even in the summer our heater is often running with temps in the 30s and 40s at night. This setup works very well.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
larsdennert

We seem to run out of water before battery but we are in warmer climates. It's nice to know panels will keep up though.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Harry Womack

Default solar panel

I mounted two 100 watt panels on the back shell. I drilled a hole down into the center wire track and ran two #10 wires to the front of the shell and down the street side to under the trailer following the other wires. I mounted the charge controller between the front drawers by the door. I can dry camp in Colorado for week running the heater, lights, 1750 watt inverter for the microwave and coffee maker. I have two size 29 batteries.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote