TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
rickjames

Default bike rack advice sought

What is the best way to take bikes along a TM trip? Do we need a receiver hitch at the rear bumper? R & T
Old 08-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Yes get a rear receiver hitch from the factory they are great!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	200_0037.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1453   Click image for larger version

Name:	200_0039.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	1455  
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
jellis

Having the same questions about this time last year, I will give you a few things to think about. After a lot of deliberation, we ordered our 3124KB with the factory bike rack receiver mounted on the rear of the TM. This has worked very well and there is no sway problem whatsoever; tows the same with or without bikes and rack attached. However, I would recommend that you look at a rack that tilts away from the TM for unloading.This makes it easier to reach the rear hatch, bumper storage and anything else that is normally accessible from the rear, without removing the bikes. With our stationary rack, you have to remove the bikes before you can reach much of this stuff on the rear or open the rear shell. This feature would be particularly handy when stopping only for a night and you may not want to remove the bikes. I chose the rear mount because we tow with a pickup/bed cover combination and carry dogs back there when the weather is cool. The bikes would be in the way of opening the tailgate if carried on a tongue attachment between the TV and TM and our dogs are pretty anxious to get out when we stop. The rear hitch seemed right for us.

On the other hand, many folks are very well satisfied with a bike rack mounted just behind the TV and like having this extra weight forward of the TM axle. As I said, it has not been a sway problem for us, but I don't know about other TM models. Rocky Mountain Ray recommended the Swagman bike rack (thanks, Ray), and they do make a model that can be mounted between TM and TV, and there is a model that does pivot back for access to whatever is in front of the rack. I will probably buy the Swagman with the swivel feature when we get our new TM and mount it on the rear.

Carefully consider your needs before you choose. The rack and/or mount are somewhat costly, but having your bikes handy is well worth it.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

On our first extended winter trip (to southeast AZ and Southern CA) we carried our two mountain bikes on the back of the TM. The bike rack was an Outback model that could carry up to 4 bikes and had a quick release pin to lower the rack out of the way. We had to lower the bikes each time the TM was opened otherwise the rear shell would not clear the top of the bikes. There were a few times we bottomed out with bike rack during our travels. We did notice a difference in the pulling characteristics when the bikes were on the back of the TM. There was more of a porpoise effect between the TV and the TM. Also noticeable was the extra slop in the rack which was meticulously taken care by a series ratcheting straps and bungee cords. We did get better at removing the straps and bungees each time the TM was opened and reversing the process the next day. It did get old fast . . . especially when raining.

The next year we decided to add a front receiver to our TV and get a different bike rack (http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=BR2B). The new set up no longer interferes with opening or closing the TM. While this particular rack does not drop down, it takes about 1 minute to remove or install each bike. We do remove the bike seats when traveling as they will hamper visibility. We feel more comfortable being able to see the bikes and no longer worry about whether or not they have come loose of fallen off (going down the highway). Over time the extra weight (of the bikes and rack on the back of the TM) could cause problems with the bumper welds. I understand the newer TM's don't have the 2" receiver bolted to the back bumper. Instead the receiver is welded to the frame of the TM . . . a much better arrangement.

http://picasaweb.google.com/commodor47/FrontBikeRack#

It looks like you have 5 choices when it comes to carrying bikes: inside the TM; back bumper of the TM; between the TV and the TM; on the roof of the TV; in front of the TV. It sure is nice to have the bikes available when camping though!

Good luck on your choice and happy biking!
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
wboudx

Ripp1202

Where did you get the small black tire guides that are mounted to the rack?

Walt
Old 08-27-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47

It looks like you have 5 choices:... between the TV and the TM; on the roof of the TV; in front of the TV. It sure is nice to have the bikes available when camping though!
Be very carefull and deliberate about measuring BEFORE you try to carry bikes between the TV and the trailer. You will, without question, encounter problems when turning the vehicle... and very likely ruin a bike wheel, or damage the paint job (and dent) the tow vehicle and/or the trailer... been there, done that.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 AM   #7
Speckul8r
TrailManor Master

I have an Allen 530RR http://www.allenracks.com/ Carries 3 bikes and folds away from the TM, with the bikes on it, for TM setup. Nice unit and not real pricey. We've carried the bikes about 6000 miles on it and it shows no sign of wear.
Speckul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 AM   #8
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Try here or do a internet search !!!!http://www.masterbuilt.com/store/hbrs.html
Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Tampajohn

Default How much weight can the rear mount receiver carry?

The rear mount receiver (bike rack) says max carrying weight is 100 lbs on my 04 2720. I am thinking about mounting a couple of 2000 watt Hondas plus a rear shelf with total weight around 140 lbs. in the 2 inch receiver on the back that was designed for a bicycle rack. If I remove the battery from the rear compartment, would that compensate for the extra weight over 100 lbs. Is the weak point at the point where the receiver is attached to the camper or is it where removing the battery allow for the extra weight. I do not have the new to us TM here, it is in storage. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. John
Old 08-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #10
sandy3124

Just bought the swag man bike rack that carries my bikes between the TV and the TM. Works very well and when your not pulling the TM the bike rack folds down so i can open the tailgate of my truck. Love it.