TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Michael -

Dual-cam sway control shouldn't be a problem, since it is part of the spring bars.

However, the framework at the break in the swing tongue will interfere with the flat bar of a friction sway control such as the commonly-seen Reese unit. These can be recognized by the presence of the mini-hitchball on one side of the the TV half of the hitch. I suspect that this is what your dealer is referring to.

I agree with Leon. Although sway control will not harm anything, it is not needed unless you have some strange combination of tow vehicle and trailer. You might consider adding a signature line to your profile, to describe your rig.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
Michael

Thanks to all of you! With your guidance, I feel much better about just purchasing the WDH and controller for now. I'm sure there will be a learning curve but with the help of the good people in this forum, my wife and I are looking forward to many years of great experiences with our Trailmanor.

Thanks again.

- Michael

Bill, updated signature as you suggested......
Old 07-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
BLAZER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
TM's are engineered and constructed with the axle set farther aft than most TT's, hence they are not prone to sway. I've towed my 2619 over 6000 miles and never felt any sway.... get a good weight distributing hitch and don't worry about the sway bar...
Just my experience....
I agree! We pulled ours with our 97 S10 blazer with just a WDH and I had no problems with sway. Did notice it some though on the last leg of our trip. I think I was just tired and the little bit it did, bothered me. I thikn I may look into building my on Lift kit since I have some very thick 2x2 hitch tubing I can use and access to grade 8 SS bolts.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:42 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Blazer -

Re adding your own lift kit - if you've got the tools, go for it! The lift is not a complex mechanism. In fact there is no reason I know of to limit your lift to 2" if you feel there is need for more. Your signature says you have done a lot of vehicle lifting before, so you are knowledgable about the advantages (ground clearance) as well as the drawbacks (higher CG).

In Australia, my wife and I saw a camping trailer that had to have been lifted 18", pulled by a vehicle that was lifted by more or less the same amount. The combo was clearly intended for use in the true Outback. With the center of gravity that high, I wouldn't want to take any high-speed mountain curves with it - but then, Oz doesn't have much in the way of mountains.

So if you know your goals and intents, there is no reason I know of not to do it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #15
Stlrfan in AZ

We just returned from ordering our new TM. We were told that the over-the-stove cabinet stacks on top of the over-the-sink cabinet and locks in place for transportation. We didn't actually take them down and stack them ourselves, but it would seem to me that's what the latch is for.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:27 AM   #16
Michael

Thanks Stlrfan! That makes sense. I'll check it out when we pick up our new TM next weekend. And congratulations on your new TM!!