TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #1
Tonopah

Default 5000 lb axel

I've seen references to 5000 pound (load, not weight!) axels. I take it that such an axel increases ground clearance. I am considering a 2720SL. I'm concerned about ground clearance as I will take the trailer to "interesting" places. The TM website lists a lift kit option. I suppose it's some kind of spacer between the frame and the axel? I don't see any meaningful information on the TM website about what kind of axel comes std with the 2720.
Is the lift kit okay or are there downsides to it? Is it effective?
Is the heavier load axel an option for the 2720 and if so, is it expensive?
Sorry for the "new guy" questions but I am quite interested in joining the TM crew and would like to get the unit ordered right for my needs. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
rpcoombs
Site Sponsor

I had the 2 inch lift kit installed on my 2004 TM 2720SL and it solved all of the problems I had encountered (rear end scraping on exiting even minor dips from gas stations, fast food joints, etc.). No apparent handling problems have been encountered. It's best ordered from the factory (rumor has it all new TM's delivered west of the Mississippi have it as standard but I haven't confirmed that) but even the late welded on versions can be converted at not much cost.
As for the 5,000 lb vs. the 3500 lb axle, the former is available as an option but both the TM factory and the axle manufacturer confirm it is best that an axle performs best (smoothness, less bouncing around of TM contents/fixtures) right at the edge of its standard rating (3,500 lbs). There is no safety issue involved.
rpcoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
live2shopnc

I have a 04 2720sd that I ordered with the 5000lb axle and lift kit and love it. No prob. with things bouncing inside. Pulls great, no wheel issues (in fact I can change tires without removing the fender skirts). I think it was about $400.00 extra. If there is a drawback it would be you have to lift a little higher to open it.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I considered it a year ago. However, with the larger axle and the lift kit the 2720 would be too tall to go in my garage. So I just got the lift kit only. I have not been able to load past 3380 pounds on the axle yet. I may need to buy more stuff.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Lift Kit Question

How much does the lift kit cost?

Virginia Deacon
2006 TrailManor 2720SL
2000 Ford Explorer XLT w/SOHC V6
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
utahsue

Default I have both

I have a 2720 SL with both the heavier axle and two lift kits and love it. Be careful about overall height, because if you also have a roof-mounted AC the rig may be too tall for your garage.

Check a thread called "Bigger wheels? Heavier axles?" in the Towing Rigs section for a discussion on this topic. It covers pros and cons, plus has some good info on tire pressures for this set-up.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

So your saying you put on 2 lift kits to raise the trailer 5 inches!!! Did the factory say this is OK to do ??? And they sold the kit to do this? One kit will raise it 2 1/2 inches!!! And did they supply you with the bolts too, where they like 7 or 8 inch bolts ? Would like to do this to my trailer too if the factory OK's this!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsue
I have a 2720 SL with both the heavier axle and two lift kits and love it. Be careful about overall height, because if you also have a roof-mounted AC the rig may be too tall for your garage.
I have a 2005 TM 2720, with a single lift kit, standard 3500 pound axle and the roof a/c. It clears the top of a standard 7 foot door by a quarter inch. I drive real slow so it won't bounce and hit.

You must have a non standard height door. If the garage ceiling is 8 foot, then I don't see how you can get a door taller than 7 foot tall as there needs to be room for the header over the door.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:47 PM   #9
Doug W.

I have a 7'6" ceiling and a 7' door. They make special low clearance garage door kits. Before you ask, the garage I use is under a home addition. I could put my Ford Ranger and my old tent trailer in it at the same time with room to spare. The previous owner worked on cars on the side. My wife has the normal single car garage on street level.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
utahsue

Default Yes, 2 lift kits

The two lift kits that I have are most certainly approved by the factory, because they were the ones who installed them, and they would have put in a third one if I had ordered it. I'm not sure about your bolt question, because I didn't tinker with anything myself. Keep in mind that I have a 2006 model (ordered in 7/05) so your situation may be different.

The height of a 2006 2720 SL closed is 64.5 inches. The A/C adds 14.25 inches. The lift kits add 5 inches, and the larger axle, one more? So that adds up to 84.75 inches, or 7.0625 feet. My garage door opening is 7 feet tall. Faced with the dilemma of letting some air out of the tires to get it into the garage, then refilling them, I got creative.

This is either the dumbest or most brilliant thing I have ever done, but because my garage door opening is also a little too narrow for the TM plus awning, I removed all of the trim pieces from the top and sides of the garage door and bought myself a few inches on each side. I then reinstalled the trim pieces with hinges and/or wing nuts so that I can take them off or swing them to the side to get the TM in and out of the garage. I also have to remove the garage door side rails, which are also held with wing nuts. It only takes a few minutes to do this each time and it makes my neighbors laugh, so it was well worth it.

With the trim removed, my garage door is 7 feet, 2 inches tall, just enough to get the TM inside. I have an automatic garage door opening on this garage and I had to disconnect it in order to get the door to come all of the way up and get that metal bar that hangs down out of the way.

So yes, you can get more than one lift kit, but if you install them yourself it may not be approved. Also, mine are welded, not bolted, and I have a 2006 model, so your situation may be very different.