TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2002, 09:42 AM   #1

Default Closing Efforts

We have a 2720.   My wife is lightweight (120lbs) and usually struggles to latch the second side of the top shell.  On occasion she can get it but usually I watch her struggle for a bit before stepping in.

Does this seem familiar or is our unit on the hard to-close side?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re: Closing Efforts

We find that the first side to be closed (regardless of which side that is) is easier to close than the second side, so I let me wife close hers first. Beyond that, one of the four stirrups (I forget which) is more difficult than the others to get into since the toe space is limited, so we close that one first. Also, closing the back half is easier if you don't latch the door - then you can reach through the door opening and "hang" onto the roof as it comes down.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 04:33 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

If the torsion bars are adjusted correctly, opening and closing should be reasonably easy, no matter how large or small the person is.

Remember the sequence (it does make a difference). Close the back half first, and latch the 'curb' side first, then the 'street' side. Then, close the front half, again latching the 'curb' side first, then the 'street' side. Finally, fasten the small latches at the corners before moving the trailer down the road.

My wife & I used to take a side... she on the 'curb' side, me on the 'street' side... mainly because she could use the open upper door to access the top of the back half and give her the extra leverage to make sure is was down far enough to latch. She would let me know when her side was latched, then I latched mine. Once the back half is latched down on both sides the front half is easy, since you can reach the top and pull it down the last couple inches to make latching easier.

I hope that helps those who are having difficulty.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
arknoah

Interesting.  I have always thought that the second side is the easiest to close, because the opposite half is already being held down by a clip.  Once I realized the importance of making sure the back of the rear half was resting on the rubber securely before latching the curb side, I have had no difficulty in latching the unit.  On the other hand, I weigh 190 lbs, and do wonder if a 120 lb person could do it easily alone.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:25 AM   #5

Using the open top half of the door to gain a purchase for the rear shell is an interesting suggestion which I 'll try although it's the forward shell that I find more difficult with my unit.

It sounds like I use more effort than suggested by Paul H. Would the factory do a shell alignment "tune up" if we plan to be passing down I-75?  How much time is involved if this is possible?

Thanks for the good help.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:28 PM   #6
Chris_Bauer

I use the same method outlined by Paul H.  In addition I open the top half of the door and pull down on the edge of the roof.  I have never used the stirrups.

Before the warranty ran out, I had the torsion bars adjusted and it is even easier now.  Apparently the adjustment can be done at home but I was not at the dealer when they did it to observe how.  

Opening and closing should be effortless. If not, then an adjustment is required.  We are both under 160 lbs.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:58 AM   #7

Thanks for your comments.  We'll be stopping in at the TM factory for some adjustment.  

Also, aren't there heavier duty latches available?  The latches on my 1999 2720 show significant metal wear at the "hook".  I could get these replaced at the same time.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:50 AM   #8
Happytrails

As per Trailmanor, the torsion bars can be "shimmed" up if it starts getting hard to open and close it. How this is done I have no clue, but it sounded like it was no big deal and something that can be done at home. I'm having my local RV shop "shim" mine up and I'll ask them what they did in case I ever need to do it later.......
Old 03-31-2002, 03:49 PM   #9
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

>As per Trailmanor, the torsion bars can be "shimmed" up if it starts getting hard to open and close it. How this is done I have no clue, but it sounded like it was no big deal and something that can be done at home. I'm having my local RV shop "shim" mine up and I'll ask them what they did in case I ever need to do it later....... <

Here's the briefing I received (paraphrased and embellished) from my "most excellent dealer".

With the camper closed, look at the underside of the frame. You will see large bolt heads projecting straight down toward the ground. Two fwd and aft, and 4 in the center. Or, 4 on the left and 4 on the right.

The bolts are cranked in or out, as needed, to adjust the torsion which will develop when the shells are closing, while being made ready for towing. Adjustments should (I think) be made with the shell up (low/no torsion load), and only in small increments.

With the shells raised (min torsion) adjust the bolt "in" to increase torsion and "out" to reduce. The Torsion rods extend all the way across the underside of the frame.

So, let's say the road side, center frame support, of the forward shell, is difficult to close and latch. Raise the front shell, then go to the curb side of the frame. Identify the support to be adjusted and follow the tortion bar, under the frame, from the road side to the point on the curb side where the adjusting bolt is located. Back the bolt out 1/2 to one turn (or whatever). Close the shell. If it still closes with too much effort, repeat. If it's even tougher to close - ya turned the wrong way! Refine until satisfied. Take two aspirins and call me in the morning ;D .

Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 12:31 AM   #10

Thanks,

If I understand you correctly, you describe the adjustment the torsion rod's counterbalance.  I feel my problem is more alignment related as the shells aren't quite "parallel" to each other along the horizontal surface.