TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Bill & Lisa

Default 3/4 size table in our 3023

We, like many others love our TM but there are some things we have problems with and find ways around. the 3023 is the model with the two couches facing each other. The table folds up from the front wall between the two and also has an extension to make it possible to seat 4. Well, for us the table without the extension in it was too short for the two of us (DW likes to make the place homey with a center piece and such that leaves us with a little less room than we would like to eat, so we usually insert the extension. Well with the extension in the table is almost as long as the curb side couch. There is enough room to slide in on the bench but you can not sit on the back end and say put on your shoes with the table fully extended. The street side couch, being longer does have room to sit and put on shoes even with the table fully extended. This single seat for putting on shoes has lead to several interesting dances over the 9 trips we have made so decided that it would be perfect if the "extension" piece were really two pieces, then we could only use one piece unless we needed the full table to serve 4.

We ordered another set of hardware from the factory and cut the extension in two. As noted in an earlier post the table is not solid wood. the center of the pieces has a foam core just like the counter tops and walls. Attached are two pictures one of the table with 1/2 of the original extension inplace (making it a 3/4 table) and another with the same 3 pieces seperated slightly to show the foam core.

Bill
Old 05-08-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
PopBeavers

I have been thinking of doing the same thing to my 2720. I did some measuring and if I had another leaf to add, I could cut it on-third/two-third. The two-thir would be just shore enough and by adding the one-third section with the current extension it would be a really long table, but awkward. Sometimes we use it as a buffet table and just need a lot of room to put stuff out.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Harry Womack

Default Longer Table

I put new hardware from Rockler Woodworking #29686 under my table. I ordered an extra leaf from TM. I cut the new leaf into two pieces, 6" and 18". I can make the table 6" longer, 18" longer, 24" longer or 48" longer with all 3 pieces installed. On the bottom I installed interlocking tabs #70409 to keep the table leaf from sliding sideways also. I made a rack to store the extra leaf on the right wall under the back bed cabinet.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Bill & Lisa

Harry, we found that the core of the tables was the same foam as the insulation in the shells. How did you secure the new tabs from slipping out of the foam, especially during transit? I'm also curious as to how you'd secure the cut leaves together for transport.

We cut our leaf in half so as to have better use of the couch space when it's just DH & I. Currently we stow the "extra" leaf under the doorside couch cushions until we set up.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Harry Womack

Default Table Extensions

Here are some pictures of the table extensions. I dug out the foam about 1" deep in the ends of the leaf, then glue piece of wood about 1" wide x 9/16" thick to fill the hole. I used maple stain to match the edges of the table. The hardware screws into these pieces of wood. I also added the latch to the leaf to keep it closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer pictures 010.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1132  
with 2020 motorhome
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Harry Womack

Default cutting leaf

You can cut the 16" leaf into two pieces on a table saw. dig out the foam on the edge and glue a filler block in the edge. I stained the filler with maple stain. The color may be different on your table.
with 2020 motorhome