TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Sherry Thomet

Cool Hello Everyone!

Newbie here. Considering purchasing a new 2619 or 2720SL model Trailmanor to tow behind my 2004 Aztek. Have already checked with Trailmanor and it is possible to tow either of these models with my vehicle. I am a first time RVer. The closest dealership to me is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away so thus far I have researched via books, dvd's, and phone calls to the manufacturer in TN. I would be doing the setup and takedown, seeing to all maintenance, and sole owner of the unit. I am an active, short in height (4"11") retired female. I have done remodeling and helped build a house. I can tend to a lot of basic electrical and repair tasks. I am enthusiastic and excited about life in my own home on wheels. Would welcome any advice and encouragement from experienced Trailmanor owners. Please let me hear from you. I'm new at this forum stuff so am hoping you know how to reach me in response. Hope to see you on the road or at a campsite sometime in the future. I actually go by the name "Kate".
Old 04-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Kate -

Are you intending to live full time in your TM? The phrase "life in my own home on wheels" is a bit amibiguous. If you intend to go full-time, do a SEARCH on this forum for a lot of discussion on the topic.

If you will be part-timing like most of us, I see no reason why you would have any trouble. The fact that you can do basic maintenance and repair tasks is a big plus, in fact. Since you are a bit short, you will want to make sure that the torsion bars are tweaked just right, to make opening and closing as easy as possible. Part of this adjustment is making sure that when you (a lightweight, I imagine) step in the stirrup, the main shell latches (the ones with black handles) engage easily. I am most defintely NOT a lightweight, and I sometimes have to bounce once in the stirrup to snap the latch. Your dealer will be able to make this adjustment as part of the final delivery prep, and you should check it and confirm it. Once this is done, opening and closing will not be difficult - it is amazing how easily the shells glide up and down.

Welcome aboard! You're going to love it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I agree with the comment about making sure you can close the TM.

I have no trouble, but my 24 year old daughter, at 5 foot 4 and slender can not close it no matter how hard she bounces.

It works for her. It is my chore, not hers.

I suppose I could use it as an excuse to prevent her from borrowing it if I wanted to be a mean dad.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
Sherry Thomet

Hi Leon. Thanks so much for welcoming me and for the great advice. I will follow your suggestions.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM   #5
Sherry Thomet

Hi Bill. Have written down what you suggested and plan to take it shopping with me at the dealership. Also thanks for the forum suggestions.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Sherry Thomet

Hi Wayne. Now that's what I call a response. Your "daughter" example put things in perspective. I will certainly test this out at the dealership to see if I am going to be able to "jump" enough if necessary. I will have them tweak it and see what the results are. Excellent advice. Thanks. Kate
Old 04-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Sherry Thomet

What a guy, Leon. I forget that chivalry is not dead. I did order some books on full-timing and dvd's, too. They just arrived so I am going to have some fun and excitement learning what might best suit my dream and make it a reality. Keep up the good advice and gentlemanly conversation. Thanks a bunch. Kate
Old 04-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
CAmark
Site Sponsor

Exclamation Is an Aztek really TV enough?

Kate,
Sorry to potentially throw a wet blanket on your party but better safe now (and sure of it) than sorry later...my first thought is that the Aztek is a pretty light-weight tow vehicle (TV) and having gone through the pain of determining if my own Honda Pilot was adequate and safe (it is, at my "peace of mind" level) to tow a 2720SL, I submit the following for additional consideration and comment by these many knowledgable and wise forum members:

There was not much info on the Aztek's towing specs on the internet but I did find this: Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 5,038, curb weight (lbs) 3,779, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 2,000 and max payload (lbs) 1,259 Perhaps you have more detailed information in your owner's manual that you can share for consideration? Anything about towing weights, axle weights, tongue or hitch weight, etc.

The term "gross trailer weight braked" is a new one for me but assuming it equates to the trailer weight minus the tongue weight the Aztek will be under spec'd by about 1200 lbs for a lightly loaded 2720SL. I recently had my TV and 2720SL weighed at a public scale and the trailer axle weighed in at 3200 lbs.
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #9
mkkgolfer

Hi Kate,
My husband and I bought a 3023 in May 2005. The Trailmanor is mine, not his. I can set it up and close it without any help. I can even hook it up to my GMC Envoy all by myself. Last year I drove it from New Jersey to Maine for a week's vacation and this year I plan to drive it from New Jersey to Michigan. My husband loves the Trailmanor and enjoys going with me and since he works outside the home and I don't I have all the responsibility. We are very happy with our Trailmanor. Marsha