TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 PM   #11
rockerga

Bill; see what did I tell you in an earlier post... Look at Ripp's photo and then at mine. I need to take photography lessons I guess.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My apologies, Ron. Your picture is great, too, and I had no intent to leave it out! You posted it while I was searching for Ripp's pic, so I didn't even realize it was there.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #13
heyokasni

In looking at these photos, I'm seeing something very different from what I have under my 1988 TM 26. I have leaf springs. It looks like the axle is solidly attached to the frame in the photos of the lift kit. Is that right? Is there no suspension on the trailer or is it just different from what I have on my "vintage" TM?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
rockerga

Default No Offense Taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
My apologies, Ron. Your picture is great, too, and I had no intent to leave it out! You posted it while I was searching for Ripp's pic, so I didn't even realize it was there.

Bill
Oh goodness no, I was actually looking at my lack of skills for taking good pics REALLY! My wife always chide's me about it but yet I am always the one taking the pictures or we would not have any! I will work on it. The one I just posted on the Equal-i-zer subject is a large pic so the quality had to be poor for use as an attachment!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyokasni
In looking at these photos, I'm seeing something very different from what I have under my 1988 TM 26. I have leaf springs. It looks like the axle is solidly attached to the frame in the photos of the lift kit. Is that right? Is there no suspension on the trailer or is it just different from what I have on my "vintage" TM?
These days, Trail Manors ride on a Torflex suspension from Dexter Axle. You can see a pic at http://dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles

Seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure when (or why) leaf springs were phased out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #16
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default A couple bits of info....

First Bit: My 2006 2619, unlike earlier model years, would require cutting and welding to add the lift kit, because the axle is mounted via welding. It's no longer bolt-on. (There's a small chance that this applies only to the 5000 lb axle). I don't know if this is a result of TM switching to the Torflex, but I'd guess that it is.

The message to be heard is: If you have the lift kit done AT THE FACTORY, you save about $150-$200 worth of welding.

I had originally decided to have the TM delivered without the kit, and then check if I had enough room (because it was gonna be very close). If I had known that it is no longer easy to add, I would have gotten precise figures so that I could make my decision before the TM was assembled.

Second Bit: On the 2006 model year 2619, Ground clearance with the standard 14" wheels/tires (3500 lb axle) is 8-1/2". Moving up to the 5000 lb axle and 15" wheels/tires raises ground clearance to 11-1/2". Even though the tire is only 0.8" bigger in radius, the 5000 lb axle adds a lot of height compared to the 3500 lb version. (I decided, just today, NOT to have the lift kit added... because it's now so expensive and time consuming to add, and because the axle already makes such a suprisingly large difference. And BTW, the lowest part is the bottom of the Sewer valve).

Third Bit: Note this interesting point from many other posters... for lots of people, it's not the Ground Clearance Instead, it's the Approach Angle: You go up a steep curb without the lift, your rear bumper drags on the pavement. The 2-axle 3326, even though it has poor ground clearance, has a pretty good approach angle, because there's not as much overhang as the single axle models. I''ve no idea how the 2720 max approach angle compares with the 3124.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:06 PM   #17
USAFCOP

Default Lift?

Is the 2" lift only the 2 axle mount length peices of 2" 1/4" wall tube steel and longer grade 8 bolts and lock washers and nuts?

Looks easy to install or even build your own, at least on the older models like the 94 I just bought...