TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #81
moaboy

Thanks to Pop B for starting this thread and to BobWilson and Ray for their thoughtful and enlightening emails, not to mention the excellent photo's from a number of people. If anyone ever doubted the value of this forum here is proof it is worth $12 a year. Also, I too am willing to give a vote of confidence to TM and the good folks there that they will do what needs to be done to address current issues and manufacturing going forward.
Any discussion of litigation is premature and rather offensive and that comes from someone who works at a law firm.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #82
trparty

Default Another victim of the factory swing away hitch...

Thanks for updating this thread. I bought a 2008 2720 just over a year ago and have been lurking here ever since ($12 bargain!). I happened to be reading through a few of the recent posts, and decided to take a close look at my factory swing away hitch. Imagine my surprise to find a failed weld seem parallel to the passenger side pin!
Anyone know of a good welder in the Lynnwood Washington area?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #83
PopBeavers

We should perhaps have a category or a sticky for service bulletins, such as I think this topic would fall under. Newbies could read just the service bulletins section in the beginning and gain some important knowledge quickly. Then go on to reading the rest.

Since February 2005, when I joined, I have read nearly every new post. Prior to that I read selected subjects.

I have gotten a lot of value from here. I hope i have provided some value to others along the way.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #84
Roy in Texas

When I discovered my cracks I remember reading this thread and when back to it to see how my situation compared to the cracks ours had found. I thought it would be helpful to other to add to the old thread instead on starting a new one.

By the way I have completed my repairs and added a stiffener to the plate on the trailer side of the swing hitch. Can't figure how to add a picture from my iPad. The attachment button doesn't seem to work to find a file. We post later when I have access to a omputer.
08 2720 (swing hitch, bike receiver)
15 RAM 1500 4x4 with 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6
RAM Integrated Brake Controller
Blue Ox Weight Distributing Hitch
Roy in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #85
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default 2720SL swing hitch failure - Merged with earlier thread at originator's request

I finally inspected the swing hitch and yes it did what I was afraid of failed. The cross member pulled free from the inside frame weld. This is on the curb side. Our hitch pivots to the street side. The top weld and outside frame weld are still fine. The bottom weld at the inside of the frame broke. It appears the inside bead never adhered to the cross member. Attached pictures show rust behind the weld, the weld itself, the bent cross member, and the gap that was my original concern. The only way I know for early detection would be mag na flux or wire brush the welds then repaint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rust.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	8081   Click image for larger version

Name:	failed weld.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	8082   Click image for larger version

Name:	gap.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	8083   Click image for larger version

Name:	bend.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	8084  

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #86
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Scary, I never liked the idea.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #87
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Scrub,

The pictures are nice and sharp but can you post one that is not so close up? I'm having a hard time getting a perspective of where this weld is. I'm concerned since I have a 2011 unit too.

The swing hitch is one of the best features of these trailers given that a 2720 would not fit in my garage without it.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #88
PopBeavers

I had a similar failure in spring 2006 with my 2005 TM 2720.

The box tube frame cracked 50 percent of the way around, starting at a weld for the fixed portion of the hinge for the swing tongue on the street side.

If interested it is still probably in the archives, including pictures.

I am certain that because of my failure they modified the design to include the addition of a strap welded across the bottom of the box tube near where the weld is.

The welder that repaired mine also moved the removable pin from behind the steel plate to a new location going through a hole in the box tube. This eliminate the noise from the slop as I changed speeds.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #89
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
Scrub,

The pictures are nice and sharp but can you post one that is not so close up? I'm having a hard time getting a perspective of where this weld is. I'm concerned since I have a 2011 unit too.

The swing hitch is one of the best features of these trailers given that a 2720 would not fit in my garage without it.
Ours swings open from the curb side, door, to the street side. If you put jack stands under the frame behind the swing part, towards the camper box, pull the pin and swing the tongue away it is the weld closest to the pin.

From the day we bought the TM the swing hitch feature has always scared the daylights out of me.

The fix popbeavers mentioned with the gusset we have. Our failure is similar to what happened with I think it was Big Bear had about a year and a half ago.

From my perspective everyone with a swing hitch should have all welds inspected.

link to Bigbear's failure http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...39&postcount=9

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #90
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I inspected my welds yesterday and everything looks fine so far. However, I think it would be prudent to have some additional support added to the area where the weld is failing. I don’t think mine has the additional strap welded across the bottom of the box tube that PopBeaver said was added. I would like to see some pictures of anything that has be done to reinforce the hitch.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch alignment, hitch failure, swing hitch